Author Topic: Number Of Files  (Read 3223 times)

Belti

Number Of Files
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:32:38 PM »
Hi

When i download an image from the net and scan, i normally notice that the result shows that i scanned 2 files. This happens with several files i download ... is it normal since in actual fact i am scanning only 1 file?

Thank You

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Number Of Files
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:44:08 PM »
If you mean a ribbon strip along the bottom of the screen, then no this isn't normal as this option isn't enabled by default. See image1 example, whilst this is an alert screen not just notifying of files scanned, they look very similar.

Open the on-access scanner screen - Standard Shield - Left click on the avast 'a' icon, click the Details... >> button if shown, select the Standard Shield provider > Customize > Advanced - 'Show detailed info on performed actions' this option is off by default, so it would appear you have been tweaking avast without knowing the effect it will have.

This function is also on the Web Shield and Internet Mail providers so you should also check those.

Edit: changed image1 to show correct list.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:56:49 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:46:16 PM »
Isn't it a package of multiply files, an archive file?
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:20:03 PM »
I think this is what the poster is referring to:

(click on image to enlarge)

I think that the cause is in the information contained in the image file.  If you check out the properties of the file you will see extra security information for files that have originated from an outside source (ie those downloaded) that causes the apparent "extra" scanning. 

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:36:39 PM by alanrf »

Belti

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:59:03 AM »
thx alanrf that's exactly what i meant. You're absolutely right, if i click on Unblock in the security property which you said, and scan the file again it shows as 1 object scanned.

So the security option does it create another file or it's simply a matter of how the antivirus scans it?

Thank You

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:36:03 PM »
I think there is no problem here ... no "extra" file is being created.  The downloaded file's security setting is, I believe, triggering extra cautious scanning by avast which results in the apparent double counting.