Author Topic: Need Help I can't UNinstall Avast antivirus!  (Read 14082 times)

ABP21

Need Help I can't UNinstall Avast antivirus!
« on: March 12, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »
I need help b/c I'm having trouble uninstalling avast..I got rid of it from the ADD/REMOVE programs but now I still have the icon in my taskbar and on my desktop and it won't go away, I don't know how to get rid of it..
I tried everything..
I installed the avast uninstaller and tried getting rid of it but it didn't work
I tried the Revo Uninstaller
I tried going to services.msc and tried disabling it from there but that also didn't work
I tried like everything I don't know what else to do..plz help me out..I want to get rid of it from my taskbar and my desktop..well I can just put it in the recycling bin from my desktop but I can't get rid of it from my taskbar..when I left click there's no exit option or anything like that..

Please help me out.

CharleyO

Re: Need Help I can't UNinstall Avast antivirus!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:04:56 PM »

Welcome to the forums, ABP21.   :)

Do you mind telling us why you want to uninstall avast?

Anyway, follow the direction at the link below.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »
Quote from: ABP21
I installed the avast uninstaller and tried getting rid of it but it didn't work

What errors were displayed ?

Did you run this from safe mode as recommended ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ABP21

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 07:52:07 PM »

Welcome to the forums, ABP21.   :)

Do you mind telling us why you want to uninstall avast?

Anyway, follow the direction at the link below.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

It won't let me download that I get an error that says:
The avast! self protection module is enabled. For this reason, the operation cannot be completed.

To complete the operation, either run this program in Windows Safe Mode, or disable the avast! self protection  via settings->troubleshooting page..which I did I went there and disabled it and I still get this error..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 08:30:01 PM »
Then you should take the other option of booting into safe mode and run the tool from there.

Booting into safe mode http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ABP21

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 08:30:56 PM »
Hay! it worked, I did it in safe mode and it unistalled everything that's great. I didn't think it would matter if I did it in safe mode or not but it does..I'll remember that thanks guys.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
The avast self-defence module blocks removal in normal mode, since avast doesn't run in safe mode it isn't running so can't block.

celticjohnny67

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 07:56:33 PM »
Ihavve tried to disable it but i cannot remove the folder in the program files it just keeps saying denied

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »
Ihavve tried to disable it but i cannot remove the folder in the program files it just keeps saying denied
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Use (run) the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. It will be good to accept the boot time scanning. Boot.
6. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 08:22:16 PM »

Did you not do as suggested and run the Uninstall Utility from safe mode ?

Why are you trying to delete the folder anyway ?
You shouldn't be trying to do this manually, you will only foul things up even more.