Author Topic: User Accounts  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
User Accounts
« on: March 15, 2009, 12:45:45 AM »
Hi folks,

This has to do with Avast more or less but I hope someone will be able to help me with my questions.

I am using Vista Home Premium and Home Basic. Up till now I have only used the Administrator account for everyday use. In fact I never had a Standard account until today. So I’m relatively new to this type of account. I hate the idea of having two accounts but I presume that this is negligible.

I have noticed that when running avast from the Admin Account I get a pop up window saying that a program needs my permission to start. If I open avast in the Standard account this window does not appear.  How come? In both cases Avast runs with the same priority (ie it runs as a normal program without administrative rights)
The same goes for MBAM. What is weirder is that Spyware Blaster displays the pop-up message in both accounts. That is why I am a bit uncertain if there is something that I’m doing wrong.

Because I have two accounts now, will any auto updates made by avast in the Standard account be available in the Admin one, and vice versa. The same question goes for MBAM, SAS and SpywareBlaste. I ask this because dspite having done a scan in one account it doesn't show up in the other.

If I run a scan with avast in the Standard account, will it scan the other account as well (I say this because in this account access to the files from the other account is restricted).

Also if possible, why do we consider this type of account more secure? I would like any and all input if possible.

Cheers
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: User Accounts
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 01:22:13 PM »
Also on a side note, Should I run Avast in Administrator mode? (ie right click on the Avast shortcut and in compatibility section check the Administrator box)

As it is I don't do this but I want to know what the benefits, draw back are?
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Reductase

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »
I install, uninstall, backup and run security scans in the admin account routinely.  This way the whole content of the disks are accessable to the action being done.  If I run a security scan in the Standard User account, it will not see the administrator account due to the policy restrictions.  Since the Standard account is the only one you will be in routinely, you can run security scans from there and it should be able to see infections for that account but it wouldn't for the admin account if any existed and it may not be able to cleanup properly if some content of the infection is in a restricted location from the standard account.

When the confirm screen pops up in the admin account, it is letting you know it will have access to all areas of the disk/software running.  That doesn't happen under the standard account because it doesn't have admin rights and won't use them.  If Avast was set to require admin rights to run, the the pop up would occur in a standard account and require the admin password as well.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:34:16 PM »
Ah,

I see. Now under normal day to day operations, does the standard account reduce the risk of major infection by blocking the malware from installing in critical sections of the system? Also, should I run Avast as an administrator in the standard account or just leave it as it is?
Computer Systems:

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 12:32:22 AM »
Any one?
Computer Systems:

Reductase

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 12:26:21 PM »
The standard account limits access to system areas and makes the PC limit damage if malware gets in - as you said to some of the critical areas of the OS.  If difficult malware does end up on your PC you may have to attempt to disinfect, create a new account and move data to it, delete the old account but that is easier than installing from bare metal.  If you keep good history images of the disk that becomes less of a problem.  It is a good practice to run as a standard user unless needed.

On running Avast with Run As...  you have choices and it is up to you but Avast scans individual files when received under the Standard account without that and then at least once a month I log on to the Admin account for maintenance where the Avast disk scan is run.  Using the Run As... works as well if you don't want to switch accounts but I'm usually in the admin account about once a week for routine maintenance or checking so I just do it then.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 01:24:42 PM »
Thank you Reductase,

I am aware of how I should proceed. I'm still looking for backup software but that is not important. I'm using the standard account now and I don't see much of a difference (not that I should). The only issue is that when updating Avast in the admin account if I log off and log on to the Standard one I see that avast is still on the old database (at least in the main window of the program. If I right click on the blue A ball and select "about Avast" info I see the correct VPS.

Weird but a minor sight. Thank you again for the info.
Computer Systems: