Author Topic: BSOD - aswtdi.sys on Windows XP with SP3.  (Read 2332 times)

BigDogWoof

BSOD - aswtdi.sys on Windows XP with SP3.
« on: March 14, 2009, 07:06:12 PM »
I saw a thread for this from December 2008 and thought I should open as a new topic.

I've been running avast! (current build 4.8.1335) on Windows XP with SP3 for some time now (months?) with no problems.  I also run COMODO CIS with only firewall and proactive defense activated - no anti-virus.

One of my kids was doing some web surfing and all of a sudden the machine went to the BSOD.  The offending driver was aswtdi.sys.

I'm going to reset the machine to perform a kernel dump so if such happens again I'll be able to send to you folks.

Thank you,
BigDogWoof

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: BSOD - aswtdi.sys on Windows XP with SP3.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
Is there the corresponding minidump file in Windows\Minidump folder? It may give us a clue...

BigDogWoof

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 10:42:29 PM »
So done.  The file name is Mini031409-01.dmp (in the incoming folder of your FTP).

BigDogWoof.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 10:55:29 PM »
Hi BigDogWoof,

Besides the disk being corrupt itself (you need to run chkdsk) a common cause can be a problematic antivirus installation. The errors probably occur during file system scanning.

You should also open the Event Viewer (run: eventvwr.msc) and look at the System Log for NTFS errors -- if you see any, it is a sure sign that the problem is with the disk itself and needs to be fixed -- run chkdsk.

This  is often flagged as a "hardware" issue -- this could be overheating or possibly the drive itself
Could not read faulting driver name - probably caused by : hardware ...

Was your kid  running a game, like "Xfire" at the time -- I assume he was gaming and the system was heavily stressed -- You should also check the ram by running mdsched.exe. On restart when you get to the user interface -- press F1 for advanced options and run the extended tests,

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

BigDogWoof

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 08:33:38 PM »
Polonus, thank you for the analysis!

I've run diagnostics and am not able to find any underlying hardware problems.  That's good!  I also know that there could be intermittant issues and these may be indicators leading to a failure.  I will monitor the system regularly.

Your help on this issue went far above what I expected.  Thank you!

avast! is absolutely a joy to use.  If only all software were made to the same standards!

BigDogWoof