Author Topic: Vista Security Center reports Avast is Off  (Read 9471 times)

yorksub

Vista Security Center reports Avast is Off
« on: March 15, 2009, 10:51:54 PM »
Avast Home 4.8

Vista Security Center reports Avast is Off

When I try to turn it on. I get an error message:

"Program can not activate resident part(standard shield
      provider not found"

When ever I reboot Vista asks me to Rename the computer?

MSword hangs.

Question   How do I turn Avast ON????

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Vista Security Center reports Avast is Off
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »
First - What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Well avast wouldn't have any association with the request to rename the computer (I suggest you try a google search for that), so there are other issues going on, possibly the system is infected. So you could also try these tools, see below.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

####
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:19:01 AM »
Do you have or, have you had another Antivirus program installed on your system
before you installed avast?
If so, which one and how did you remove it?
The following 2 links may also help you solve your problem:
http://mysharedfiles.no-ip.org/TipsTricksFreeware/How2InstallAvast.html
http://mysharedfiles.no-ip.org/TipsTricksFreeware/How2RemoveYourAntiVirusProgram.html
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »
Sometimes, Windows Security Center stop recognizing your antivirus or firewall... So, check your system time and date and also http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534

See also: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm
The best things in life are free.

seaprompt2

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »
DAvid R:  I followed your advice to yorksub, by going to "repair Avast" and did that.

I don't know where the task manager is, so couldn't do the next part, but would it hurt to follow your link to "repairing XP", even if I don't know if anything is wrong with it??

Thanks. seaprompt2
First - What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Well avast wouldn't have any association with the request to rename the computer (I suggest you try a google search for that), so there are other issues going on, possibly the system is infected. So you could also try these tools, see below.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

####
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:20:06 PM by seaprompt2 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »
To get to the Task Manager it is either the three finger salute (press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together), or right click on the Task Bar and select the Task Manager item from the list.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

seaprompt2

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 06:21:47 PM »
David R, there are 4 .exe things in a whole page of stuff in "task manager".

ashwebsv.exe
ashserve.exe
aswUpdsv.exe
ashDisp.exe

Guess I am supposed to download and install that "malware" program you suggest, but dang, I feel like I'm in over my head.

Wish we had a computer guy in my area.

Thanks though.  I will do what you suggest.  sp2

####

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:12:14 PM »
The only one you appear to be missing is the ashMaiSv.exe the avast email scanner (Internet Mail provider). Given your other topic relating to emails scanning (e.g. stopping it) perhaps you have terminated that avast Internet Mail provider ?

It isn't that complex, take things a step at a time, don't look at the whole picture as it may seem daunting. One step at a time and the journey will soon be complete.

If as I suspect safe mode might be something you aren't familiar with (or how to start safe mode, see below) basically it is windows starting without many of the complexities of windows or many applications running. This means these scans in safe mode are more effective.

Booting into safe mode http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml.

seaprompt2

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 08:52:50 PM »
I downloaded mbam-setup.exe

But when I went to install it, it told me that .exes might be dangerous.  Shall I put it on my desktop?

Thanks, sp2

seaprompt2

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 08:59:56 PM »
I think you are right, David R.  I'm betting I did terminate the avast Internet Mail provider, because I already have an internet provider, (HUGHES), I'm betting I did eliminate the AVAST one.

ALSO, I was anxious to get rid of whatever it was that was making me take 2 1/2 hours to send one doc to the state, and since the problem started with AVAST install, I think we can safely assume I terminated the avast e-mail scanner!

Since I am completely overwhelmed by the very thought of starting the 'puter in "safe mode" and doing ANYthing there, guess I'll have to get AVAST internet mail provider back.

Any ideas how to do that without putting my blood pressure through the ceiling?

Thanks, sp2

The only one you appear to be missing is the ashMaiSv.exe the avast email scanner (Internet Mail provider). Given your other topic relating to emails scanning (e.g. stopping it) perhaps you have terminated that avast Internet Mail provider ?

It isn't that complex, take things a step at a time, don't look at the whole picture as it may seem daunting. One step at a time and the journey will soon be complete.

If as I suspect safe mode might be something you aren't familiar with (or how to start safe mode, see below) basically it is windows starting without many of the complexities of windows or many applications running. This means these scans in safe mode are more effective.

Booting into safe mode http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 10:01:50 PM »
I downloaded mbam-setup.exe

But when I went to install it, it told me that .exes might be dangerous.  Shall I put it on my desktop?

This is something that after XP SP3 this pop-up happens for virtually all new exe files, there is nothing to worry about if you downloaded it for a specific purpose. What it stops, up to a point, is malicious applications, malware running executable files without your knowledge.

Running the tools I suggested in safe mode has nothing to do with your not having the avast email scanner running, but to basically confirm you don't have any malware on your system, which could have anything to do with the problems you reported in your first post.

Safe Mode isn't a problem, it just runs windows without complications, even your graphics driver isn't loaded so the display will be in a low resolution 800x600 and 265 colours. That is the whole idea of safe mode your system should run without problem in safe mode with the restricted applications and drivers that could be troublesome.

yorksub

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 10:32:42 PM »
David,

I am still having trouble here.

I asked Bob for some help and he tried.

Found out I got this on Feb. 6th 2009
I tried to fix Avast
I uninstalled Avast and downloaded new
I updated Windows Vista
I have run Avast and it found no viruses.
I have tried to find         flist[1].js      and     freescan[1].htm
 But they must be hidden.

Have downloaded three Virus detection packages and none can find the virus.

Then I tried to boot into Safe Mode and I can not get into Safe Mode???

I am sitting here trying to change the font of the last line but it won't let me????
OK so I with change the color it won't let me????

Charlie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 10:46:25 PM »
I think you are right, David R.  I'm betting I did terminate the avast Internet Mail provider, because I already have an internet provider, (HUGHES), I'm betting I did eliminate the AVAST one.
Your Internet provider gives you connection. avast Internet Mail provider scans your emails (in Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc.).
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 11:13:10 PM »
David,

Found out I got this on Feb. 6th 2009
I tried to fix Avast
I uninstalled Avast and downloaded new
I updated Windows Vista
I have run Avast and it found no viruses.
I have tried to find         flist[1].js      and     freescan[1].htm
 But they must be hidden.

Have downloaded three Virus detection packages and none can find the virus.

I am sitting here trying to change the font of the last line but it won't let me????

Charlie

That's strange as I had no problems with my Vista.

Did you repeatedly tap F8 right after the system BIOS screen?

I'm not partial to font changes myself but I do like Bold, Italic, Underscore and strikethrough

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
David,

<snip>

I wish I could help, but I don't know anything on the Visat side, I have avoided that OS.

When you say you can't do something, you have to go into more detail as in why, what errors you get, etc. That way if there is someone viewing the topic that could help them identify the problem and offer some advice.

e.g. why can't you get into safe mode ?
where are you trying to change the font and why won't it let you (errors, etc.) ?