Author Topic: WMA: Wimad (Drp)  (Read 16814 times)

Shackman

WMA: Wimad (Drp)
« on: March 17, 2009, 02:36:43 AM »
Hi, John here. I am a complete newbie to this forum. I am trying to solve a virus issue I have picked up through the use of (gasp!) Limewire. I don't download programs, movies or even pics. I do download single songs, to assist with their study for a band in which I play. That's actually true, believe it or not, although I won't hold it against anyone who scoffs at my stated reason. I would gladly use iTunes and pay the $1.69 each (and may yet have to) but prefer mp3's or wma's to m4a's which my player can't play.

I have the current version of avast and recieve regular updates. For about 2 weeks now I am unable to successfully download songs thru Limewire as I get an avast alert messasge, usually at the downloads completion, that avast has detected a problem with the following identifiers:

Malware name: WMA: Wimad (Drp)

Malware Type: Dropper

VPS version is stated as 090315-1, 03/15/2009.

So it would seem to be a virus which has made its way in on board a WMA song. I ran a full system scan with the avast, defragged it all, did disc cleanup, opened the virus chest and deleted the bug numerous times until I realised the virus is now lurking somewhere I haven't reached yet and replicating there at will. That's about it for me with my limited PC skills.

Anyone able to assist? I would be extremely thankful.

Cheers,

John, Melbourne, Australia

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: WMA: Wimad (Drp)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 02:43:26 AM »
WMA/WMV files often contain DRM protections so using MP3 files, you automatically avoid this.
Some files use fake DRM in order to download malware.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:19:13 AM »

Welcome to the forums, Shackman.   :)

Try what Polonus posted at the link below :

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=41572.msg349010#msg349010

bobo1

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:50:12 PM »
Yes i had this virus through limewire free edition downloading songs. Avast will detect this as wimad dropper. Use spybot search and destroy to get rid of this malware :'( and do a boot time scan to get rid of it!). Ans is LIMEWIRE IS FULL OF VIRUSES!!!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:20:40 PM »
LIMEWIRE IS FULL OF VIRUSES!!!!!
Is a completely infected p2p network...
The best things in life are free.

ruthalice.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »
Hello. I'm Ruth and after running virus checks, it turned out i'd got that virus. (WMA: Wimad (Drp)). Its in the chest at the moment, but now i don't know what to do. how do i get rid of it ??? ?? if anyone can help, please do.

and also simple instructions would be good.
Thanks.  :)

bobo1

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 03:54:30 PM »
Yes get rid of it in avast chest, and download spybot search and destroy and remove what ever it finds. Limewire has alot of these mp3 viruses on it!!!

ruthalice.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »
umm. do i just delete it. :P x