Author Topic: Avast blocking my internet browsers (firefox, safari, internet explorer)  (Read 13052 times)

achaean

Hi, Recently I was downloading a program and then all of a sudden I couldn't load up any web pages in my browser. It would just show waiting for... and show a white page. I troubleshooted this for a while, but then I finally disabled avast and boom! all of a sudden my pages started working again. Now I really like Avast and would like to keep it as my anti virus, however I would like to be able to see web pages as well. Can anyone help?

I use Visa home premium, and have Avast currently disabled to let me browse the internet.

onlysomeone

have there any antiviruses been installed previously? (norton or so...)
do you use a firewall? which one?

your
onlysomeone

achaean

Only windows firewall, no other anti virus is installed. Macafee was installed previously, but I removed that some time ago...

YoKenny

McAfee has to be completely removed as it leaves remnants on your system:

Follow these directions to download the McAfee Removal Tool and run it to remove the above programs.

Click on the following link to download the MCPR removal tool

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Click Save and save the file to your desktop
Close all McAfee Application windows you may have open, and double-click on MCPR.exe to start the removal tool. Windows Vista users will have to right-click on the file and select "Run as Administrator"
After the removal tool finishes, you should be prompted to restart your computer. 
Once the computer restarts, your McAfee product should be uninstalled.
If for any reason there appears a red X during the uninstall, go to the following location for more advanced uninstall instructions involving the registry.

http://tools.mcafeehelp.com/doc.php?siteid=1&docid=419397

achaean

Okay I used the tool you gave me, but it didn't work, avast is still blocking my internet. Any other ideas? Should I try reinstalling?

Mr.Agent

i think its a problem of the web shield ? I never touched this shield and never had problem with it

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Sometimes, McAfee won't be completely removed if, before, you do not uninstall Avast, including the use of its "Uninstall Application" if necessary (www.avast.com/eng/faq-install-uninstall-avast.html).

After that, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

achaean

Ok I did all of this, but problem still occurs... I'll just switch to AVG. It started occuring after I installed Eve Online, maybe that helps...

JuRis79

I had this identical issue. I contacted tech support via email. Here's the fix they gave me...
You need to go into the Windows Firewall settings in the Control Panel. Then click on the exceptions tab. Click add program, find Avast and add it. It's as simple as that. While your at it make sure the firewall is allowing all the other programs that require internet access. Hope this helps people...

Good Luck!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I had this identical issue. I contacted tech support via email. Here's the fix they gave me...
You need to go into the Windows Firewall settings in the Control Panel. Then click on the exceptions tab. Click add program, find Avast and add it. It's as simple as that. While your at it make sure the firewall is allowing all the other programs that require internet access. Hope this helps people...

Good Luck!
Thanks for posting, although I do not understand (yet) how this will solve the problem...
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

Welcome to the forums, JuRis79.   :)

Thanks for what worked for you. Hopefully, it will work for achaean.

ProgrammerGuy

EVE Online is an online gaming site so there could be something to look into...  Don't know where to look to see if there's a conflict with EVE Online and Avast!...

Hopefully 'achaean' will attempt to resolve his problem within Avast! and not go to that other anti-virus... >:(

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
I've used AVG for years.  Switched completely to Avast over the last few months.  If achaean wants to do it, then by all means, do so.  But, I think you'll be back!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum