Author Topic: Outlook Express  (Read 8325 times)

hines232

Re: Outlook Express
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 12:15:35 AM »
The only thing that I can think of is that you have not set the outbound server as:

smtp.gmail.com

From the image it looks like you are trying to use a different server to send your messages (mail.isp.com)

also the help page did say that the port # was: 465 or 25, so this could also possibly be the problem

-Scott-

Still working on It Scott, thanks for the come back. Have checked all you mentioned, and all are set correct. It all did work before ISP.com switched to gmail. I will work on it till I get It. ;D

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 01:04:25 AM »
Almost certainly nothing to do with ports but how you are using OE.

You still have your isp.com account in OE and it is almost certainly set as your default account.

When you create a message OE automatically uses the address adn server of your default account for the message.  If you want to use a different "from" address and server you need to use the drop down arrow at the right of the from address as you create the message and select the address and server you want to use for the outgoing message.   

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 01:16:23 AM »
Or you can decide to make your Gmail account your default account.

hines232

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 02:16:30 AM »
Almost certainly nothing to do with ports but how you are using OE.

You still have your isp.com account in OE and it is almost certainly set as your default account.

When you create a message OE automatically uses the address adn server of your default account for the message.  If you want to use a different "from" address and server you need to use the drop down arrow at the right of the from address as you create the message and select the address and server you want to use for the outgoing message.   

The only Account I have set up right now on OE, Alanrf, is (pop.gmail.com) no other accounts. You lost me on the:  If you want to use a different "from" address and server you need to use the drop down arrow at the right of the from address as you create the message and select the address and server you want to use for the outgoing message.  Thanks for dropping in, appreciate it.  (P.S. incoming works fine) I don't know where this isp. thing is hidding.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 07:00:47 AM »
Sorry to disagree with you but in reply #13 in this thread you posted a screenshot that shows very clearly that you successfully completed a connection to your isp.com account (via the avast Internet Mail provider).   

hines232

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 06:02:40 PM »
Now I am really confused. I did not know Avast had an internet mail Provider ??? I am still working on It. :'( 

spg SCOTT

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 06:35:41 PM »
I think that what Alanrf is saying is that it looks like you are trying to send the massage via a different email account.

What he is suggesting is to see if you can choose which email address you are sending the message from,using the drop down arrow in the 'from' section of the message.

I use Thunderbird so I am not sure whether the 'compose message' layout is is the same but it must be similar to OE, the image highlights the drop down arrow that Alanrf is talking about.

-Scott-

hines232

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 07:56:24 PM »
I think that what Alanrf is saying is that it looks like you are trying to send the massage via a different email account.

What he is suggesting is to see if you can choose which email address you are sending the message from,using the drop down arrow in the 'from' section of the message.

I use Thunderbird so I am not sure whether the 'compose message' layout is is the same but it must be similar to OE, the image highlights the drop down arrow that Alanrf is talking about.

-Scott-
OK MY Friends, and again thanks for trying to help Me. As I stated in last thread I only have ONE account, (showing), now on OE (pop.gmail.com) default, Nothing more. On the drop down arrow, non existant in OE.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 08:09:51 PM »
Can you see what the error message is when you try to send the email?

The image you posted previously suggested that you are trying to send an email using the 'mail.isp.com' which, if you are trying to send it via the gmail account, is obviously the wrong one.
It is odd that you are able to receive the emails but not send them, and I would imagine that it has something to do with the settings that you are using.

could you tell us what the outbound settings are?

-Scott-

hines232

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 08:49:36 PM »
Can you see what the error message is when you try to send the email?

The image you posted previously suggested that you are trying to send an email using the 'mail.isp.com' which, if you are trying to send it via the gmail account, is obviously the wrong one.
It is odd that you are able to receive the emails but not send them, and I would imagine that it has something to do with the settings that you are using.

could you tell us what the outbound settings are?

-Scott-
The settings are what was suggested by "help" POP Gmail settings for OE. I will send an other screen shot of the error that I am getting now. In a while.

hines232

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 08:56:33 PM »
This is the error I now get !

hines232

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »
 ;D Up and working, sending and receiving !!!! Had forgot to go back to "servers" and (check) My servers require Authentication !!!. Can You believe that ??? Thanks again for all of you guy's time  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »
Glad you solved it!
The best things in life are free.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 09:14:37 PM »
;D Up and working, sending and receiving !!!! Had forgot to go back to "servers" and (check) My servers require Authentication !!!. Can You believe that ??? Thanks again for all of you guy's time  ::)

Glad you got it working now,
Its always something simple ;D

-Scott-