So did you dump Norton for Avast?

Yes
13 (72.2%)
No
5 (27.8%)
I can't remember!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Just a silly poll.  (Read 11687 times)

alimoso

Just a silly poll.
« on: May 06, 2004, 12:57:58 AM »
I have noticed that loads of people say they dumped Norton for Avast. I did the same thing myself.
So I thought I do a silly poll (I couldn't help myself, it's stronger than me! ;D) and find out how many of you did too ;)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Just a silly poll.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 01:28:58 AM »
I went one step better -- was smart enough (or maybe just lucky enough) not to have NAV in the first place.  ;)
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 01:43:14 AM »
Being primarily a Mac user I have not used many AV products but I did not dump NAV for avast. I switched from Command Antivirus when they were purchased by aythentium. Commands great support was replaced by authentiums and it SUCKED! so I saw avast had a forum and came here. Command is still perhaps the #1 product at detecting Macro viruses though
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 04:54:31 AM »

I did once have Norton but that was some time ago now. I dumped McAfee for avast!  :)  

Nortons --> McAfee --> avast! ... was my progression.

Neither of those 2 can come close to comparing to the goodness of avast!    ;D  

cheri

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 05:47:01 AM »
Ah ha...

back in the the last millenium I had Nort, came with the comp, then got mcaffee...gotta new comp mcaffee with a free year...was considering trendmicro....housecall seems to scan pretty well infact it had found things norty and mac never did.  

Now I am here  ;D checkin out the scene  ;)

shgoh

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 06:25:09 AM »
dump norton for avast?

wise choice ;D

Jarron

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 08:48:31 AM »
My neighbors had McAfee and called me over when they were having multiple problems with their computer (compared to everyone on this forum I consider myself to be a computer idiot, but they think of me as a computer genius.  Next to them I guess I am, but please don't tell them the truth  :-X).

I suspected McAfees was at least part of the problem so I uninstalled it.  I didn't want them to be without an AV so I installed avast! as a "temporary" free solution until we found something "better".  I actually considered suggesting they try Norton.

Anyway I never found anything better and after a few days I got rid of McAfee's on my own computer and went to avast!  My neighbors still have avast! even though they recently got a new computer, and they still think I'm a computer genius.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 03:31:52 AM »
dump norton for avast?

wise choice ;D

A lot of us did it... My way:
McAfee > Norton > AVG > avast!  ;)
The best things in life are free.

cheri

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 05:46:09 AM »
We still have norty at work...i call it norty because if i am not mistaken he is missing a toof or two and is playing a banjo with a bud bottle cap.  That is 'bout as affective AV that was for me.  What I dont get is how people keep paying for AV that is not affective.  

Since I may be needing the professional version of AV soon myself I appreciate being able to try the home version and seeing how it works before I buy.  It is not easy to get your $ back these days when a product is less than satisfactory.

shgoh

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 06:44:57 AM »
i'm sure avast! won't disappoint you ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 01:58:22 PM »

Me too  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 04:39:27 PM »

Me too  ;D

and dont for get to scan occasionally with an online scanner like housecall
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

cheri

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 07:19:22 PM »

Me too  ;D

and dont for get to scan occasionally with an online scanner like housecall

Please explain why I would need to do that. :)

shgoh

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 07:24:50 PM »
Please explain why I would need to do that. :)

what mac means is that it is better to be extra safe.. :)

however i don't use online scanners myself ;D

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 07:42:58 PM »
I use HouseCall (Trend) once in a while myself for a "second opinion" -- especially if there's suspicions of a false-positive from avast, or for that matter if I suspect something might be slipping past avast.  Since they use different scan-engines, it's highly unlikely they'd both report false positives or false negatives.

Don't forget to pause your Standard Shield before using any of the online scanners, to avoid conflicts.  And of course don't forget to "resume" it afterwards.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent