Author Topic: Distributing avast  (Read 8428 times)

painman

Distributing avast
« on: June 05, 2003, 07:34:33 PM »
I am a semi-retired computer consultant living in SW Florida. I make "House Calls" to mostly older folks that just have a dial-up connection. Many use JUNO.
It is costly to  them for me to sit at their computer while the basic software downloads (about 6.5MB).  

I did NOT print the license but believe that it said that a user must "get their own" copy.

What's the possibility of my loading (from a CD) the basic software and then having the client get the "registration key" them selves.

Thanks,

painman

eda

Re:Distributing avast
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 07:54:02 PM »
Hi Painman,

if you are writing about avast! 4 Home Edition - free for home noncommercial use - you are right. You can download latest "build" of setupeng.exe file, burn it to CDR (better to CDRW, for new new build :-)) and then lend it to your friends to save time and money.

You are right that all your friends should register their own copy to obtain free license key - but it's simple and fast.

But I should express again: avast! 4 Home Edition is free for home noncommercial use only. Both these condition should be met! e.g. it should be home computer and it isn't the case of Non-Profit organizations.

regards   Eduard

djhack

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 09:34:21 PM »
Hi,
I'm in almost the same situation

I own a small store in the town of Joliette (Quebec , Canada)

I have a cd-r I use that install windows and a bunch of other application (mozilla,cygwin dev platform, freemeter,dimension4,avast) it install all this stuff in one shot

If I understand the license correctly this is ok to do provided that

the person(s) using the computer do not use their computer for profit (home users download music and chatting and installing spyware etc.. etc.. stuff users do I guess)
and that each home computer has it's own license registered to the name and address of the  computer owner

also I guess I have no right to charge for the software nor the installation (so I don't) and I don't advertise this either so I am not making profit off of avast home

I haven't heard a clear yes for an Alwil official , am I interpreting the license correctly ?

also I'd like to become reseller for avast pro where do I go for that ?

eda

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 02:22:22 PM »
Hi djhack,

You are pretty right:
1. you can provide cd-r containing avast! 4 Home and install all your stuff from it. The user should register personally to obtain free license key - they should check the non-commercial use checkbox there.
2. you can't ask for any paynment for avast! 4 Home instalation

If you liketo become avast! reseller try to mail to sales@avast.com

If it's not clear, write another post or mail directly to above mail box

Eduard

djhack

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 02:27:20 PM »
Hi,

thanks for the confirmation !
one thing though you say that the user should register personally (that is what happen most of the time)
the problem is that I have a couple customer (grandma&grandpa types) who have a hard time doing anything outside of sending mail and playing game cards

so when I install windows for them I usually write down their personnal info and use it to register in their name , is that still valid ?

I had someone from alwil tell me by email that it was ok even if I used my own email in case the customer doesn't have one or if I don't know their password

eda

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 07:28:57 PM »
Hi djhack,

We don't ask to fill the registration form by "owners hand on registrant computer" but we like to know about the new user. That's all.

If you use the same (yours) mail box - you'll get the same license key and therefore there will be no new customer record - it's E-mail address based. Try to use different mail boxes. If you don't have an access to their account I don't see any other way that you do it on your account only.

regards   Eduard