Author Topic: virus in the operating system??  (Read 3628 times)

JurishzteR

virus in the operating system??
« on: March 18, 2009, 03:30:56 PM »
hi! i really have no idea about this thing... 2 days ago i received a notice saying that avast has detected a suspicious file, something like 'it has infected the operating system' and it needs to do a boot-time scan, but when i scanned it nothing is detected... the next day same notice came, after but after scanning nothing is detected, it happedned i think 3 or 4 times.... now, this morning when i opened my laptop, i noticed that avast is not working in the start-up anymore and my laptop has become very slow and it also hangs when i start my computer... pls help( sorry for my bad English)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: virus in the operating system??
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:06:18 PM »
This would appear to be the anti-rootkit scan 8 minutes after boot. This uses a different scanning method than just signatures (heuristics), so that is likely to be why nothing is found by the conventional signature scan. There is an option on detection ot send the file to avast or analysis (default) I assume you let that happen ?

What is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. If multiple detections at VT send the sample to avast (see below).

####
Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a reference to this topic (give URL) and undetected malware in the subject.

~~~~
What do you mean avast isn't running any more, more details please, no avast icon in the system tray, etc. ?

What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JurishzteR

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »
avast is not working the way it used to be.... its icon is not at the bottom right(is that the system tray?) and it is not processing at the windows task bar anymore, it does not automatically scan viruses....

uhm yeah i remember it said a root kit, but im sorry i did not send it for analysis, i immediately deleted it...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 04:29:39 PM »
It could be that avast has been disabled by something hidden by a rootkit.

Also see, anti-rootkit, detection, removal & protection http://www.antirootkit.com/software/index.htm. Try these as they are some of the more efficient and user friendly anti-rootkit tools.
- Panda Rootkit Cleaner - http://research.pandasoftware.com/blogs/images/AntiRootkit.zip.
- Trend Micro RootkitBuster - http://www.trendmicro.com/download/rbuster.asp
- F-Secure Blacklight may not always be available, http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file). There is a possibility that they too could be disabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JurishzteR

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 04:57:37 PM »
sir, shall i install both the superantispyware and the malwarebytes?

micky77

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 05:26:23 PM »

Absolutely, yes

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 05:43:41 PM »

No need for the sir on the forums we are all avast users ;D

Yes, install both, they won't conflict with each other or avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 06:27:50 PM »
Third yes ;)
The best things in life are free.