Author Topic: Help needed........  (Read 4457 times)

Gandalf Gurgi

Help needed........
« on: March 18, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »
I finally got my Avast regestered this morning. Now, my Windows Security Center is telling me my Avast is turned off. I have tried everything to get it back on. How can I turn it back on, so WSC will close?

I appoligise if this post is in the worng area, but I am new to the board.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Help needed........
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 06:31:16 PM »
Sometimes, Windows Security Center stop recognizing your antivirus or firewall...
So, check your system time and date and also check if avast is correctly installed, which was your old antivirus? How did you remove it?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:36:28 PM »
I finally got my Avast regestered this morning. Now, my Windows Security Center is telling me my Avast is turned off. I have tried everything to get it back on. How can I turn it back on, so WSC will close?

I appoligise if this post is in the worng area, but I am new to the board.

Presumably it isn't actually off (see below) but a problem with the WSC (common), is the avast 'a' blue icon in the system tray (see image) ?
What is your OS ?

What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image2 ?

- WSC doesn't detect avast! - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/help/wmi.mspx#EQKAC
Windows XP SP2 or SP3, Start, Run, type cmd and click OK from the command prompt type 'rundll32 wbemupgd, RepairWMISetup' without the quotes and enter.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gandalf Gurgi

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:09:54 PM »
David, my OS is windows xp, sp3. There is an icon in the system tray, and I finally clicked that I will monitor the anti virus myself, so WSC closed. But the thing I have noticed, is that it keeps saying that avast is disabled on the readout for Avast. I was using AVG, but uninsulated it by Add/Remove Programs. Let me ask one more question. IF I was to download Avast again, would I have to ask for another Registration key, or could I use the one sent me for the last Avast?

Gandalf Gurgi

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:43:52 PM »
Ok! This I do not belive. All day(for me it is 2:40 pm CST) I have had a problem with my Avast. About 10 minutes ago, I had a power spike, which caused my computer to restart. Now everything, including my WSC is working fine. Figure that one. lol 

Thanks all for the advice, and if I have anymore problems with Avast, I know where to come. Again, Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:30:10 PM »
The icon is only one element and that is why I asked about all avast processes in the task manager.

I would suggest you try the AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

The WSC is somewhat flaky at times.
You can use the same key again
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security