Author Topic: kernel32.dll Is it a virus?  (Read 12034 times)

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
Re: kernel32.dll Is it a virus?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 09:38:02 AM »
Hello sergofun,

Please tell us which section of the chest is this "infected" kernel32.dll file?

People, I'm not sure about this assertion, is kernel32.dll being detected as virus (infected)?

In chest it's in the saved files (with two other system files).

The problem was solved. It was false detection. In two hours after my second post ALWIL team fixed it with new update. Well done, thx ;)
Thx everybody who discussed this problem. I know you allways glad to help )))

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 08:49:10 PM »
Thx everybody who discussed this problem. I know you allways glad to help )))
Sure, you're welcome.
The best things in life are free.

ZACZVR

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 11:33:51 PM »
I've also found this in my systems files virus chest, along with winsock.dll and wsock32.dll.
 Do I just remove them from the chest??
I have the latest updates, and there they sit... my system runs fine.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 11:38:30 PM »
No it entirely depends on:
a) what section of the chest ?
b) if avast when you scanned it in the chest found it infected ?

I really do wish Alwil would get rid of this All Chest Files collation of the three sections:
  • The only area you should be interested in is the Infected Files section, this is where the files detected by avast and selected by you to move to the chest are placed.
  • The User Files section is where the user can add files they suspect of being malware but not detected by avast.
  • The System Files section is where avast keeps back-up copies of important system files in case the original becomes infected (leave them alone).
  • The All Chest Files is a collation of the three sections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ZACZVR

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 11:47:28 PM »
As I said, the systems files part of the chest. I didn't even know they where there till today when I went to a web page and avast said it was infected, so I disconnected right away, and ran all my anti-malwares and avast to make sure I'm ok. Still running them as we type...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »
No need to, if you read the rest of my post they are back-up copies of important system files.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ZACZVR

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 12:27:14 AM »
Thanks! I deleted them just to have it clean. By the way, I'm reading a how to from major geeks on cleaning your system. It's from 2004, but it has good info. If you have time, have a look and let me know what you think about what it says.
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139313

continue

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 08:02:07 AM »
Hi all!

After a latest update avast says that kernel32.dll is a virus (Win32:Trojan-gen {Other}) :-X
Why? IMHO, it's false, please fix it.

P.S.: avast detect a virus in kernel32.dll (2004), but not see in kernel32.dll (2007), i.e. avast doesn't see Win32:Trojan-gen {Other} in kernel32.dll on Windows XP SP 3.

I have exactly the same problem.....

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 12:12:06 PM »
I've also found this in my systems files virus chest, along with winsock.dll and wsock32.dll.
 Do I just remove them from the chest??
I have the latest updates, and there they sit... my system runs fine.
As DavidR have said, the files: kernel32.dll with winsock.dll and wsock32.dll in the System Files section of the Chest are backup copies of the important system files. avast! puts them in to the Chest immediately after installation.
But my question was about false positive and now it fixed.

I have exactly the same problem.....
Did you update avast!?
It was fixed in the same day when I ask about. May be this update can be applicable only to the Russian-speaking version of Windows?