Author Topic: Windows Vista - Pro & Home - Automatic Update doesn't work ?  (Read 7317 times)

Coconutty

Windows Vista - Pro & Home - Automatic Update doesn't work ?
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:54:58 PM »
Hi - new to the forum - and to Windows Vista !

I have 3 PC's - one running Windows XP Pro, and two Notebooks that connect wirelessly to my Home Network - One with Vista Pro, and one with Vista Home.  All are running Avast 4.7. 

The XP machine works fine and always checks for updates each time it is switched on.

The two Vista machines however do not automatically update.  I have confirmed that the radio buttons in Avast Program Settings / Update ( Basic ) are checked for the Virus Database and the Program, but the virus definitions are NEVER updated on start up, or during the time the Notebook is switched on.
Updates ARE available though - as when I go to Avast Updating / iAVS Update, there is always a newer definitions file available that is then downloaded.

I suspect that this problem is related with some of the features of Vista - maybe "User Control Panel" or "Defender", and I confess to knowing little about these or any other Vista features that might be the cause.

Does anyone KNOW what this is likely to be, and what the solution is - which is probably a simple Vista setting that needs to be enabled / disabled - to save me more frustrating hours of trying to work it out myself with my limited knowledge ???

Many Thanks in anticipation !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows Vista - Pro & Home - Automatic Update doesn't work ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 09:11:37 PM »
Vista and avast works perfectly and the automatic update works.
Some days ago, I've posted my log about daily automatic updates I've received.
Into Updated (Connections), are the settings ok?
The best things in life are free.

Coconutty

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 01:45:39 PM »
Hi Tech,

Where do I find that information then ?

I have tried searching for "Updated (Connections)" but I can't find the post you refer to.

I don't know if my "settings are correct" - What settings ? - Other than those I have already mentioned ?

What other settings do I need to check ? - The software will update manually so I assume that most  settings are correct, but I just don't know what other settings might need to be checked ( or unchecked ) to fix the problem ???

Thanks,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 01:54:25 PM »
Where do I find that information then ?
Right click the 'a' blue icon > Program settings > Update (Connections).
How do you connect the Internet?

Coconutty

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 02:14:11 PM »
I actually meant "Where do do I find the log you posted 'some days ago about the Daily Automatic updates you have received' ",

However, on checking the settings within the program for "Update ( Connections )" - neither option was checked  :o

I have now selected the option for "My computer is permanently connected to the internet", and after a few seconds the software updated the latest definition file automatically - so that seems to have done the trick - Thank You very much  :)

One point for the Alwil Software team ( assuming they read these forums ) - to save any future confusion, how about including an extra button in the Update ( Connections ) part of the program, to cater for situations like mine, where I don't "Only connect to the internet using a Dial-Up modem", and neither is my computer "permanently connected to the internet" - It is only connected if I enable the wireless connection of my Notebook computer and it is in range of a suitable connection point, or at leasr provide some information on that page to select the "permanent" option, even if it is not really a permanent connection ?

Thanks again,

Connection

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 02:45:32 PM »
I actually meant "Where do do I find the log you posted 'some days ago about the Daily Automatic updates you have received' "
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30858.msg255612#msg255612
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26546.msg273898#msg273898

It is only connected if I enable the wireless connection of my Notebook computer and it is in range of a suitable connection point, or at leasr provide some information on that page to select the "permanent" option, even if it is not really a permanent connection ?
So, set "Permanent connection" or check none.
It will be the same effect as far I know. Strange that manual update was not being done...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:02:07 PM by Tech »

Coconutty

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 02:55:55 PM »
Tech - Now you have totally confused me, and I imagine anyone else that might read this would also be confused ...

I have SOLVED the problem by "ticking" the box for "permanently connected to the Internet" ( Even though - as mentioned - the computer is NOT "permanently" connected because it connects wirelessly only when in range of a wireless conection point ).

Thank you for the links to your previous posts, but I really don't understand what you mean in your final paragraph :

So, set "Only connect to the internet using a Dial-Up modem" or check none.
It will be the same effect as far I know. Strange that manual update was not being done...

I have stated ( clearly ) that enabling the "My computer is permanently connected to the internet" option has resolved the automatic updating problem, and in my fist post that Manual Updating DID work !

No further replies are necessary thanks - that would probably only confuse the situation even more for anyone else with the same problem that reads this !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 03:02:50 PM »
I have SOLVED the problem by "ticking" the box for "permanently connected to the Internet" ( Even though - as mentioned - the computer is NOT "permanently" connected because it connects wirelessly only when in range of a wireless conection point ).
This setting just say to avast the way the user connected. If nothing is checked, avast should check for a connection as well. It's just to 'speed up' the update process searching for a specific kind of connection.

avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds.
If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check. Checking does not take more than one second and, of course, does not use the Internet band.
If there is a connection, check for an update. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time.
Some of this settings could be configurated different, I posted the default values of the avast4.ini file. The updates are incremental.

If a system is running with a permanent broadband connection then:
With the "Dial-up" modem option checked and with the "Always connected" option unchecked
avast will never check for automatic updates if the user has a permanent connection and let it off. Sorry, my first post was wrong and I've edited it.

ght1

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 08:49:04 PM »
I have SOLVED the problem by "ticking" the box for "permanently connected to the Internet" ( Even though - as mentioned - the computer is NOT "permanently" connected

I had the same problem, now it works ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:02:10 PM by ght1 »

gpzbc

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 05:46:55 AM »
I was having the same problem with Vista.  Avast just wouldn't automatically update as often as it should.  (I was comparing it to my XP setup.)   There were no errors or anything like that.  It just wouldn't automatically update more than every few weeks.  I confirmed this in the Avast log.
So I checked the box that my computer is always connected to the internet (even though it isn't) and now it is working.  It just automatically updated for the first time in a long time.   
I don't get it.... but it is working now.

tux

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 10:50:45 PM »
I have SOLVED the problem by "ticking" the box for "permanently connected to the Internet" ( Even though - as mentioned - the computer is NOT "permanently" connected

I had the same problem, now it works ;D

I was also suspecting that this would be solution. When I was deciding to go with avira or AVG, I've decided to give one more try to avast! HE cause it serves me well all those years. I have Vista HP 32bit. Also installed Spybot S&D+Windows Firewall+Malicious Software Removal Tool, nothing special that would cause any problem IMHO. It was irritating that there was no update notification and automatic update from avast! like in XP and if I remember corectly (maybe not) on older versions of avast! in Vista.
Finally today, there was blue pop-up update notification.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 10:56:45 PM by tux »