Author Topic: "The scan cannot be aborted" - Surely not?  (Read 7250 times)

DelBert

"The scan cannot be aborted" - Surely not?
« on: March 20, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »
Hi All,

One of our new Virus admins managed to set a number of machines off doing a boot time scan with the option of "User can abort the scan" turned off. Of course it's first thing in the morning and I want to get these people back working again. Is there any way as an administrator to get past this scan?

We've tried the 'safe mode' route but that still seems to be running a scan (but oddly there's nothing on screen).

Any ideas? Help!

Many thanks,

Derek

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: "The scan cannot be aborted" - Surely not?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:55:33 AM »
The scheduling record is just a key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System - so you can try to load the "Last known good" configuration during boot.

However, I'd like to ask - what version (build) of avast! do you use? It is known that nothing displays on screen if the boot-time scan is running in safe-mode, so I believe some time ago detection of safe-mode has been added (and the boot-time scan shouldn't start if in safe mode)

DelBert

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:21:40 AM »
Many thanks, that's got it up and running.

Will I need to modify the registry to stop it happening the next time the machine is booted? If so, which key is it?

The client version was 4.7.1005.0, I'm not 100% sure a scan was running but it was difficult to tell what the machine was doing, it was certainly thrashing the HDD for a good 10 minutes before we gave up on that route.

Thanks again.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 12:47:27 PM »
4.7 is quite old, so I think the safe-mode skip wasn't implemented there yet. So yes, I guess the boot-time scan was starting, even though "invisibly".

There should be no need to perform any unscheduling; the last-known-good configuration switched the CurrentControlSet registry key, so the item should not be present in registry anymore.

DelBert

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:44:18 PM »
I didn't realise 4.8 had been out for so long, looks like it's time to make sure all the client PC's are updated!

On a related note, but this time a feature request, would it be possible to have more control over what happens when a boot time scan is scheduled. Some useful features would be:

- Reboot machine only if no-one is logged in (ie it's at the press Ctrl-Alt-Del to log in stage)
- Reboot machine after XX seconds
- Allow user to cancel reboot

Could any of that make it onto a feature request list?

Cheers.