Author Topic: IE8 - Manual install from Micro$oft Website  (Read 13738 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: IE8 - Manual install from Micro$oft Website
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »
I wish I could debug what is happening...
The best things in life are free.

sunrisecc

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 03:39:11 PM »
How about using MSCONFIG and disabling all at startup. Then add one back at a time and see where the conflict is. The XP computers which I have updated successfully all have Windows FW, Windows Defender, and Avast running.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 03:46:41 PM »
I have nothing to disable at startup... two or three programs that I run for years in my XP and nothing related to Internet or browsing or IE at all. I'm deffragmenting the partitions... Man, a lot of programs are taking all the CPU to run, not only IE8...
The best things in life are free.

sunrisecc

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 03:57:08 PM »
I would do it anyways since it would enable you to eliminate which program, if any, is causing the program. I will also assume you ran chkdsk and it reported no errors.
Does it run at proper speed in safe mode?

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 04:13:32 PM »
IE8 - Manual install from Micro$oft Website failed on my XP SP3.

A download of IE8 from filehippo worked without any problems on both of my XP SP3 computers.

The M$ IE site said beta & filehippo showed final, I guess that was the difference.  I did both upgrades to IE8 yesterday.

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 04:28:38 PM »
I have nothing to disable at startup... two or three programs that I run for years in my XP and nothing related to Internet or browsing or IE at all. I'm deffragmenting the partitions... Man, a lot of programs are taking all the CPU to run, not only IE8...

I like System Explorer as it is an enhancement to Task Manager but I do not let it replace Task Manager

Major Features:
• Detailed informations about Tasks, Processes, Modules, Startups, IE Addons, Uninstallers, Windows, Services, Drivers, Connections and Opened Files.
• Easy check of suspicious files via VirusTotal or Jotti service.
• Easy search details about file/process via online databases.
• Security Extension for automatic check of processes,modules and selected files.
• "New Task..." dialog with integrated AutoSearch and AutoCompletion.
• Action History for monitoring processes activities.
• Performance graphs for monitoring usage of system resources in time.
• System Snapshots for easy finding of system changes.
• System Report builds rich text report containing major informations about your System.
• Multilanguage and Plugins Support.
• Can be used as Task Manager replacement.
http://systemexplorer.mistergroup.org

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 04:42:40 PM »
Watch out for the first security update on IE8, there is an vulnerability/exploit already. Just another reason I always hang back.

Can you provide a link so I can inform myself of the vulnerability?

Knock yourself out, a present from my friend google, http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+ie8+vulnerability and http://www.thestandard.com/news/2009/03/19/researcher-hacks-just-launched-ie8.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 04:52:55 PM »
Watch out for the first security update on IE8, there is an vulnerability/exploit already. Just another reason I always hang back.

Can you provide a link so I can inform myself of the vulnerability?

Knock yourself out, a present from my friend google, http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+ie8+vulnerability and http://www.thestandard.com/news/2009/03/19/researcher-hacks-just-launched-ie8.
As IE is the most popular browser the script kiddies love to play and boast to their other script kiddie buddies how they break things maybe with a hope of getting a meaningful paying job.  ::)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »
Yes it probably has more to do with one-upmanship on the first day launch of IE8 than anything else and winning $5000 and a system to boot.

So does it matter how popular IE8 is since it has only been released (technically we don't know how popular it is) or are we going to find out that this vulnerability exists in IE6/7 also, then it is a bigger user base.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sunrisecc

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »
Thanks for the links to the vulnerability. Even if it is true, that vulnerablity would not be enough cause me to return to IE7. I am not as paranoid as others and practice safe hex.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 10:24:36 PM »
It would cause me not to install it until the patch was released, but since I don't use IE as my default browser I'm in no rush to install IE8 anyway. I haven't installed IE7 and by the looks of it I won't be, but end up installing IE8 when any kinks are ironed out that might be found early after release.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2009, 06:38:24 AM »
-= I run IE8 in a very old pc with 256 MB RAM.. It wasn't really slow.. ;D For me I think its a little faster [and lighter in resources] than IE7..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 07:20:40 AM »
Same experience - I installed IE8 today on my vintage 2000 system (XP Pro SP3 - 1Ghz processor and 512Mb memory - the max for that machine) and it installed and runs just fine.