Author Topic: after i have installed a program  (Read 4042 times)

Eminem

after i have installed a program
« on: March 22, 2009, 04:27:14 PM »
is it safe to delete the file downloaded to install it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: after i have installed a program
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »
Of course it is safe, it is effectively redundant once installed.

Though I always keep them in a specific downloads folder, with sub folders for the type of program, etc. so I always have a copy just in case I need to reinstall the program. This avoids having to download it again (being on dial-up) and you never know there might be a problem connecting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »
While I do the same as David I do think there is a special case. 

If you purchase a program for download, especially one where you are also given an activation key then I am especially careful to archive the download file and the activation key.  If, at a later time, you need to re-install the program for any reason you may well find that the program has a more recent version for which you would be expected to pay again if you need to re-download.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 11:33:39 PM »
I hang on to almost all my installer files, they are stored in a folder on a separate partition, and sorted into subfolders, such as "antimalware", "PC maintenance tools", "multimedia" "MS packages" etc.
This will facilitate a re-install.
(You don't want to be swanning around the 'net, looking for an AV to download, on a brand new OS.)
Tell the truth, I've got rather too many, and some of them are seriously out of date. And some I'll probably never use.Heck, some I don't even remember why I downloaded. The more you keep, the more ongoing maintenance is required to look after them.
Must have a clean up, sometime.  ;)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 12:23:13 AM »
My downloads folder has 416MB of downloads in 10 sub-folders and I do periodically rummage through it an have a clear out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

normishmael

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 12:53:40 AM »
Yes,and for me you never really know when something like Kerio 2.1.5 is going to disappear from Last Known Free Version,or for that matter when the site will disappear.
I have no idea where i would get a replacement for my vintage copy of cyberhawk that I thank about re-running from time to time.

It is good to know I am not the only person to rat-hole them!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 03:44:55 AM »
I just burn the files to a CD once in a while ... the archive CD's are all indexed ... not really something that needs cleaning out.

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 07:05:40 AM »

It is rare that I delete a downloaded installation file. Like most of you, I keep them in various folders depending on the type of file it represents.