Author Topic: Avast Antivirus Update Voice Confirmation  (Read 12006 times)

roger.p

Avast Antivirus Update Voice Confirmation
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »
I am running Avast Version 4.8.1335 on a Vista Home Premium laptop.

Until a couple of days ago each time the definition files were automatically updated the pop-up box appeared in the notifications area, accompanied by the voice saying the update had taken place. The voice has become decidedly quiet and instead the pop-up box is now accompanied by a "ping".

The sounds in Avast have not been disabled and there are no sound problems with my computer.

I liked the voice accompaniment and ask is there any way I can get this back when automatic updates take place?

roger.p  ???

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast Antivirus Update Voice Confirmation
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:05:57 PM »
You can check the sound file associated with the update event in Control Panel / Sound and Multimedia. The "ping" seems like the file is either missing or somehow incorrectly set :(

Lukas.

roger.p

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 03:10:47 PM »
Lukas,

Thank you for your reply.

I have looked in the Sound file and there is no sound associated with the Avast Automatic VPS Update. I know I can associate one of the sounds in the drop-down list to this event but I would like the voice, which is not in the list.

Do you know what the voice is listed as, please, or how I can obtain it?

roger.p
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 03:12:55 PM by roger.p »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »
It is listed under avast! antivirus, Automatic VPS Update and the file name is vpsupd.wav, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

roger.p

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »
David,

Thank you for your help.

There was no sound file vpsupd.wav in the sounds list to associate with the Avast update.

I found it (and others) in the ALWIL software under Programmes on the main drive and was able to associate the various wav sound files to the appropriate task/message in Avast and all is now back to normal.

roger.p

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 03:44:23 PM »
You're welcome.

I didn't have to do anything the avast! antivirus section was in the Program events: list and all the various avast sounds. So I don't know why it might be different in yours they should be there by default.

Thankfully you have been able to resolve the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dmorse

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 06:40:16 PM »
I have the same problem and was able to get the voice message previously without any problem.  Only relevant sound appears to be "notify" which doesn't have the voice.  What do I choose to get voice message saying virus database updated?   Thanks.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 06:44:18 PM »
You searched your computer for "vpsupd.wav" and couldn't find it?

You might try repairing the avast installation by going to control panel > Add/Remove Programs, clicking the avast antivirus and clicking "Change/Remove."  Then select the repair option.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

dmorse

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 07:14:13 PM »
Thanks very much.  Finally found file and changed sound settings.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 07:20:09 PM »
Sure, welcome to the forums!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Ms. Question

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 06:33:48 PM »
David,

Thank you for your help.

There was no sound file vpsupd.wav in the sounds list to associate with the Avast update.

I found it (and others) in the ALWIL software under Programmes on the main drive and was able to associate the various wav sound files to the appropriate task/message in Avast and all is now back to normal.

roger.p

Would you please explain how you associated the file as I have the exact same problem.Thanks!

spg SCOTT

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »
Hi Ms. Question,

The sounds for avast! are located here:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH

What you need to do is:
Right click avast! tray icon --> click program settings--> sounds tab --> click settings --> scroll down to avast! antivirus (in the window that opens) --> click on the relevant sound and then click browse --> locate the folder above and then choose the relevant sound

-Scott-

Ms. Question

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 07:40:54 PM »
Thank you so much, this was a great help and I think we have it now, will know for certain the next time it updates....as it just updated today, it will be another 24 hours probably. I appreciate it Scott.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 08:58:59 PM »
No problem, glad to help :)

Ms. Question

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »
Just wanted to say that I was finally around when it updated and the "little man" talked to me. It was music to my ears. lol Good to know it back working for me again!