Author Topic: License Expiry  (Read 5600 times)

eschacha

License Expiry
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:13:58 AM »
Hi there

My Avast license has suddenly become invalid or expired. I have checked and it is valid until march 2010! I have the license file but Avast refuses to recognise it and will not let me use it. Whats going on. I note in another topic someone else had a similar problem - there license file seems to have been changed to some graphics format. When I check my file in the finder it states it is a .dat file, though when clicked on it opens in Acrobat. Is this the reason? I can change the file default preference to work with other apps, though not sure what to set it as.

Help please......

I'm on a mac osx 10.5....

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: License Expiry
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 01:36:22 PM »
Hi there

My Avast license has suddenly become invalid or expired. I have checked and it is valid until march 2010! I have the license file but Avast refuses to recognise it and will not let me use it. Whats going on. I note in another topic someone else had a similar problem - there license file seems to have been changed to some graphics format. When I check my file in the finder it states it is a .dat file, though when clicked on it opens in Acrobat. Is this the reason? I can change the file default preference to work with other apps, though not sure what to set it as.

Help please......

I'm on a mac osx 10.5....

Hallo,
avast's license is a textual human-readable file (~ *.txt in the fact, nothing more), and is valid only when in the pure (= non-modified) form. Even one character or bit change renders the whole license unusable.

Are you sure that the file has its original form, with no additional "decorations", sometime added by text editors/viewers/etc?
It should open in TextEdit, or in Terminal Utility, command "less". I presume it's in your mailbox as attachment, thus try to store it again on your HDD, and try to use this file.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)