Author Topic: If I stop a scan before it's done...  (Read 1925 times)

Rickenbacker

If I stop a scan before it's done...
« on: March 24, 2009, 11:24:29 PM »
Will it negate/ lose any ''infection" it had found?

Also, it must be the way I have my documents set up or something, but it's scanned the same files (music) about 3x now.

???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: If I stop a scan before it's done...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:24:35 AM »
It would just stop at that point, however you also don't say if you might have Paused the scan as you later mention about it scanning the same files 3 times.

You don't say what version of avast you have ?

The Home version requires interactive input by the user when a detection is made, you need to decide on what action to take, move to chest, etc. and avast then carries out that action and continues with the scan. If you then stop the scan previous actions have already been actioned.

When you start the scan again (if not paused) it doesn't remember where it was before (it doesn't retain that information in the home version), so the scan starts anew. If you paused it then as far as I'm aware it would restart at the same folder.

Why would you want to stop the scan ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: If I stop a scan before it's done...
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:29:39 PM »
It won't mess your computer, just that the files ahead won't be scanned, only the ones already scanned... so we can't say anything about the "future" of the scanning...
The best things in life are free.