Author Topic: Antivirus finds threat in TrueImage .tib files  (Read 3097 times)

brians08

Antivirus finds threat in TrueImage .tib files
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »
I searched the forums and found a thread about this from a year ago but apparently this is still the "normal" Avast behavior?
I just installed Avast and did a full scan.  It did find a couple of real threats that were buried in some old downloaded files but it also flagged most of my TrueImage backup images as being infected.  This behavior is even more puzzling because I had selected the option to skip archive scanning.  TrueImage tib files are compressed archives.  I am sure the Avast team knows this but....????
This is a huge concern for me because if Avast were to successfully delete or quarantine a backup image file then I would be SOL if I needed to run a restore.
Of course there is a slight chance that there really is a virus operating on my system and it is using the .tib files to hide malicious code but that's quite a long shot I would think.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Antivirus finds threat in TrueImage .tib files
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »
You need to use the Exclusion lists to exclude *.tib files:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...
The best things in life are free.