Poll

What Free Firewall do you use with Avast?

Zone Alarm
59 (45.4%)
Sygate
31 (23.8%)
Outpost
19 (14.6%)
Tiny
2 (1.5%)
Primedius
0 (0%)
GoldTach
0 (0%)
Look and Stop
2 (1.5%)
Kerio
17 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll, What Free Firewall do you use with Avast  (Read 85886 times)

trigger

Re:Poll, Best Free Firewall for use with Avast
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2004, 11:30:29 AM »
900 views 4000 members and only 40 votes, YUCK!
Well. I still can not vote for kerio... So maybe that one is used by 3960 members...

Peter
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 11:30:51 AM by trigger »

JAM-Computers

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2004, 04:57:18 PM »
added Kerio to the list

JAM-Computers

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2004, 05:30:22 PM »
Ok, dispell this myth for me then.  I have always been told not to use a software firewall with a hardware firewall as this was slow your connection to a crawl.

True or False?

Why?

shgoh

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2004, 06:29:16 PM »
Ok, dispell this myth for me then.  I have always been told not to use a software firewall with a hardware firewall as this was slow your connection to a crawl.

True or False?

Why?

don't think so...i've been using both very long time...works fine for me..

in fact i prefer using both...should be safer i guess ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 06:29:48 PM by shgoh »

rexdal

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2004, 07:06:49 PM »
1100 plus views only 40 votes, YUCK

Let me know if I have missed any.  This poll will help everyone trying to decide which one to use with Avast. Which one do you like best and why?

well said, I have found this forum a wealth of info for YEARS
    from the product itself to any question
   I agree it seems this question is always popping up what better way to direct
people in the future asking then having a Poll result to look at

Rick

trigger

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2004, 01:18:54 PM »
True or False?
Basically TRUE

Why?
Because they both have to check traffic before allowing it. As a hardware firewall is very fast, you won't really notice anything, but if yo uwould check down to the microseconds, it will be a delaying factor. It's not that a hardware firewall and a software firewall will slow each other down, you just have another process that is doing basically the same. So a packet comes towards you, the hardware firewall will check if it can pass, it gets to your software firewall which checks if it may pass and then it gets to where it's supposed to go.

Peter

JAM-Computers

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2004, 03:03:19 PM »
Trigger, that was my understanding.  

JAM-Computers

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2004, 11:26:48 PM »
here's another reason to hate Norton!

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5211724.html

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2004, 06:54:07 PM »

I think the problem is in the Subject Title, 'Best Free Firewall for use with Avast.' I believe it should simply be Which Firewall (Free or otherwise) do you use with Avast!

People may not know if their firewall is best for use with avast, hence the lack of votes.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 06:54:48 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2004, 07:01:59 PM »

True or False?

Why?

don't think so...i've been using both very long time...works fine for me..

in fact i prefer using both...should be safer i guess ;D

As far as I am aware there is no conflict, if something gets through the hardware firewall the software one then may catch it. If the hardware one catches it there is no extra overhead as the software doesn't have to check.

Also I believe that (many/most) hardware firewalls only blocks inbound traffic, in which case a software firewall is advisable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gatienp

Re:Poll, What Free Firewall do you use with Avast
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2004, 12:28:24 AM »
I have been using Zone Alarm for many years.

Last April on my return from oversea where I was gone for 4 years,I connected with the telephone Company here and took the firewall and Anti-virus for 2 weeks.It is called Freedom.

I ended up with Long Distance phone calls to Sao Tomé and a bill of nearly $1,000.

I rushed back to Zone Alarm and Avast :-*

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2004, 01:04:57 AM »
My Cable Provider give F-Secure Antivirus Free with their hi speed service. I love getting an AV worth $50 a year free!!!
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

KezzerDrix

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2004, 03:16:04 PM »
Sygates, interface is great.  Gives lots of control.

Waldo

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2004, 03:24:10 PM »
ZA 4 pro with webfiltering, although the free version would give almost the same level of protection.

newto

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2004, 02:47:45 AM »

I think the problem is in the Subject Title, 'Best Free Firewall for use with Avast.' I believe it should simply be Which Firewall (Free or otherwise) do you use with Avast!

People may not know if their firewall is best for use with avast, hence the lack of votes.
 I agree with DavidR the title is part of the problem contributing to the lack of votes but  I further think you would have alot more votes if you had included an "others" catagory that people could vote for.  I 'm new to this forum and my computer.  This is my first post.  In selecting a thread to read and maybe post a response to, I selected this one because of two reasons.  First, the title suggested to me that JAM-Computers was looking for a good "Free" firewall to install onto his computer--one that compatible and reliable--and that all the firewalls listed in the poll are "free" firewalls.  But after having read all of the posts I'm unclear of: (1) is all of the listed software in the poll freeware or not? If not, then: (2) which is the good free vs good pay software on the list and/or out there on the net (3)  When people say "Free" are they talking about a free short term trial demo or free like AVAST?  I'm not very interested in short term stuff.  Having just install a "Free" one year trial firewall a month or so ago I thought "free" firewall information and feedback would be good future reference/knowledge for when my registration comes up for renewal (maybe there some more trustworthy companies like this one that does sponsor and support truely free firewalls for non-profit home use?).   Second, being technically challenged as Coho says, (By the way Coho I will keep you in my prayers on 2 Jun 04, hope all turns out well) I was looking for thoughts and opinions about my "free" firewall to see how it stacked up against the competition.   My software is a third party CD software given to me by Microsoft when I requested security updates in CD form.  They recommended both hard and soft firewall protection  and said "If your not running an up-to-date antivirus and firewall software for your convenience, we have provided the enclosed free trial CD".  The name of the software is eTrust(TM) EZ Armor LE (industrial strength) by CA  Computer Associates, which is has both an anti virus and firewall.  While I feel overall good with my new firewall, I don't want to get stuck/suck into it because of a misguided enhanced  sense of security that if Microsoft sent it to me-which I take as a trusted endorsement-it must be pretty good.  So far, my experiences with it have included no more ads/pop-ups without having to disable pop-ups, notifications of blocked inbound traffic IP address, permission and notification of changes in outbound application/programs, a privacy safe that stores and encyripts all personal data and that blocks/alerts you any time a program is trying to take personal info outbound over the net (I really like this feature do all firewalls have this or comparable?), and my only complaint slower start up and shut down.  I think renewal would not be cheap so far all my online research reveals (1)  Unable to find any reviews (2) the online vendors that sell Computor Associates products dont sell home additions just $2000-$5000 dollar systems for large corps.  (3) home additions can purchased directly from the company as separate packages.  I would love hear from some computer savvy people review/opinion on this.  Anybody have it, read any reviews on it, or willing to give it a try?  Thanks a bunch for sticking with me.  I'll  go now and look to see if there is newbie section where newbies can introduce themselves.   Then maybe we start a poll on different browsers.  :D