Author Topic: Can't connect to internet (Resolved)  (Read 11029 times)

Kenyonrf

Can't connect to internet (Resolved)
« on: March 26, 2009, 04:39:23 AM »
I installed avast last year (home edition) and for some odd reason, after I installed it, I could not connect to the internet with IE, Firefox or Safari. I could connect with my quicken software but not if I tried to use an outside browser. For some reason I am able to connect as well to iTunes (music store) but again can't do anything if I try to use an outside browser....says cannot connect. I have a DSL line and 3-4 computers hooked up either wirelessly or hardwired. They all work just fine. Only the computer I installed avast on has the problem. OS is windows XP

I uninstalled Avast numerous times and reinstalled....using both the unistaller and also the command line prompt I found on this server. I also read various threads and tried their fix, all to no avail. I just put on Avast Home Pro to see if I could re-trace by turning functions off and on.....again no luck. I simply cannot connect using any browser. My programs (except for the two noted above) will not connect either.

I did get an error message saying that maybe I had a firewall blocking ports but I have no firewall installed. I don't use Windows Firewall.

I am not savy with computer lingo but I was wondering if there was a command line prompt that would simply open all ports and allow me to get connected to the internet. I put on Avast because I was tired of Norton......I think I may have made a grave error.

When I do a status check on my wirless (and or hardwired...I have tried both ways) everything is working fine. I just cannot connect!!!!!

Please help...I have tried for a few months to get this working and I am completely baffled.

Thanks

kenyon
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 03:34:41 PM by Kenyonrf »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Can't connect to internet
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 05:27:10 AM »
Hi and Welcome.
Normally that sort of problem would most commonly be a firewall config issue.
Oh, well.
That leaves Norton for now as the most likely culprit.
Please download and run the Norton Removal Tool http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html and after that see how it goes. It may be necessary to repair, or even reinstall Avast (also using the Avast Uninstall Utility) following this, but lets try one thing at a time.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Kenyonrf

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:42:10 PM »
Oh my GAWD!!!! Its always a simple solution but makes you crazy when you realize just how "simple" it usually is. Your uninstall Norton program worked like a charm. Oddly, I had tried to take off Norton with its own "uninstall" program and it was a no go!!! I was so sick of Norton slowing down my computer to a crawl and I had no idea it would fu*k me up on its departure/change to another program.

After using the uninstall program you advised and restarting, all is well and if anything, my computer is running markedly faster. Thanks for your prompt and "useful" reply. Much appreciated. Not sure how to mark this thread as "Resolved" so please do so from your end if possible and thanks again!!!!!
kenyon

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 06:13:45 PM »
Yeah, Norton will do that to ya.  So will McAfee.  Glad you got the problem resolved!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

CharleyO

Re: Can't connect to internet (solved)
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »

Make another post (or modify your last post) and in the "Subject" line, add ... (Solved) ... and that will do it.  See my example above.

Welcome to the forums, Kenyonrf.   :)

Kenyonrf

Re: Can't connect to internet (SOLVED)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 08:38:28 PM »
 :) ;D :o

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 10:08:50 PM »

Opps ... my mistake. I think you have to modify your first post Subject line.

Don't know what I was thinking ... maybe I wasn't !    ::)    ;D

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 10:12:33 PM »
Glad it's resolved.
Quite a lot of the AV's these days have their own cleanup programs, to fix what the uninstallers left behind.
Norton has always seemed to need it more than others, for some reason.

Try editing your first post, in the subject line. Real thorough, wanting to mark it as resolved; thanks.
(Lot of folk wouldn't bother.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 10:21:30 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking about what I was doing with my example that I gave and forgot.    :-[   

I'll blame it on old age and a "forever been bad" short term memory.    ::) 

Kenyonrf

Re: Can't connect to internet (Resolved)
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 03:36:04 PM »
Thanks guys!!!! Loving Avast, btw.  ;D