Author Topic: scan results won't do anything:  (Read 3793 times)

rockie

scan results won't do anything:
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »
after i run a thourogh scan and check archives i get a scan results page. i scrolled down quickly to have a look. then clicked on action without highlighting anything (i didn't know what to do). then the window just sat there. after a while i tried to open task manager. it said my avast process was using up 98% of cpu and so i ended process. but it said "access denied" waiting for a response from u. so i ended program from task manager. what should i be doing i.e. what is the required process for scanning archive files? some were from avast and i guess its protecting itself by not allowing scan ..but ..what about other files?
perplexed,
Rockie ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: scan results won't do anything:
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:46:22 PM »
You are bumping into the avast self-defence module (Program Settings, Troubleshooting).

Which process is using the CPU % in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:51:21 PM »
Do you mean the results scanning window froze?
The best things in life are free.

rockie

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:19:20 PM »
You are bumping into the avast self-defence module (Program Settings, Troubleshooting).

Which process is using the CPU % in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?
yup bumping into avast self-defence ..i guess will look into troubleshooting. the file began with ash.
the scan results window froze.
how do i over come this in the future? if u can help i sure would be grateful. thanks for replying to my post.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:18:47 PM »
It is hard to say as we really don't know why it happened as there insufficient information.

Personally I don't do thorough scans or enable archives to be scanned.
Thorough is also by its design very thorough (it scans all files) and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate. Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

I have only ever done a Through Scan with Archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.

Not sure what it is you are talking about when you say how do you overcome it in the future, depends on what 'it' you are talking about; avoiding the problem of the freeze (not enough info, see below) or stopping avast and not bumping into the self-defence (by temporarily disabling it).

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security applications do you have installed, anti-spyware, firewall, etc. ?

What are your system specs; OS ;CPU ;RAM ;Hard disk size and how much data, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rockie

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 03:23:38 PM »
It is hard to say as we really don't know why it happened as there insufficient information.

Personally I don't do thorough scans or enable archives to be scanned.
Thorough is also by its design very thorough (it scans all files) and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate. Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

I have only ever done a Through Scan with Archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.

Not sure what it is you are talking about when you say how do you overcome it in the future, depends on what 'it' you are talking about; avoiding the problem of the freeze (not enough info, see below) or stopping avast and not bumping into the self-defence (by temporarily disabling it).

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security applications do you have installed, anti-spyware, firewall, etc. ?

What are your system specs; OS ;CPU ;RAM ;Hard disk size and how much data, etc. ?
xp pro cpu 1.59ghz 500 gb 55 gb of data. i had avg 8 installed used their uninstall i have spybot and ad aware.
i guess thorough scan and scan archives is a bit of over kill so i'll just stick to normal scan. unless u can think of something. but, Thanks for replying .. u've helped me. Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 04:37:40 PM »
Whilst your system isn't a speed freak it is up to the task, You don't say how much RAM you have but upgrading the RAM to 1GB (if you haven't already got that or higher) would improve your overall system performance.

AVG8 we are seeing in the forums appears to be leaving some debris after an uninstall.

AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

Well for 55GB of data I wouldn't expect the generate a large list of files that can't be scanned and most of those are likely to be for adaware and spybot S&D. If you can give some common examples of files that can't be scanned, a) why they can't be scanned, b) the file name and c) the location, this should give an idea of the program and if that use is legitimate.

See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35347.msg297170#msg297170 this topic for more information on why files can't be scanned.

AdAware is now a waste of hard disk space (although you aren't short of that) and S&D is a little behind the curve, but it has limited resident protection in Tea-Timer and there are better anti-malware tools.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, periodically.