If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again), you could follow the general cleaning procedure:
1. Clean your temporary files. You can use CleanUp
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot. Other option is scanning in SafeMode
(repeatedly press F8 while booting).
If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT!
3. It will be good if you download, install, update and run SUPERantispyware
If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
About legit antispyware applications or the bad ones see here
4. If you still detecting any strange behavior or even you're sure you're not clean, maybe it will be good to test your machine with anti-rootkit applications
. I suggest avast! antirootkit
or Trend Micro RootkitBuster
for XP/Vista. For XP only: Panda
5. Also, if you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis
log to post here or this analysis site
. Or even submit the RunScanner
log to to on-line analysis.
6. After you're clean, disable System Restore on Windows ME
. System Restore is not available in Windows 9x and 2k. After disabling you can enable it again.
7. Use the immunization of SpywareBlaster
8. Finally, when you're clean, check for insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector
to update insecure applications and avoid reinfection.