Author Topic: Avast and other security apps set-up..etc  (Read 4012 times)

Offline jason7619

Avast and other security apps set-up..etc
« on: November 11, 2010, 08:54:22 PM »
Hi;

I'll be a new user of Avast ver free in a couple of weeks(have used Avast 4 previously around 2008) and I was thinking about asking you guys here about my current set-up which I want to co-exist beautifully.

I have Outpost Pro ver7 as my firewall with Mbam Pro in realtime(only when I'm surfing), HitmanPro Build 117(on-demand), Sandboxie paid,VirusTotal uploader ver2 on my Windows 7 x86 pc.

Have the same in an XP SP3 machine but with the addition of Superantispyware Pro(on-demand only).

What maybe the best set-up with Avast 5 free to be able to have a good compatibility with the set-up I have? Maybe some of you guys have the same or slightly similarities with my  exsiting set-up and I'd really like to know some ideas if I may.

I also have been thinking of ditchin  Mbam/HitmanPro and installing Prevx as on-demand only in tandem with Avast 5....any ideas/comments here..?

How about with Online Armor Premium firewall ver 4.5? I mean same set-up with the exception of the firewall(from OP Pro to OA Premium..)..any ideas here...?

Would like to here your ideas/commens so I can better decide what to try and post the observations here.

Regards! :)

Avast IS 19.8  /  Malwarebytes Premium / Windows 10 x64 Build 1903 / AMD A10 Processor desktop with R9 Graphics 32GB Ram.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast and other security apps set-up..etc
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 10:30:33 PM »
Just take a look at my signature and you will see your applications work fine with avast5.

Leave MBAM, I would say get rid of hitman pro.
Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:14:53 AM »
You can take a look at my Signature as well.  I use OA Premium (current version is 4.5.1.431) with Avast Free and PrevX w/SafeOnline (paid) and MBAM free.  I get no conflicts at all with all shields on with all software, yet layer my security defense.  I also use browser security features as well, which I suggest. 

I would use PrevX as resident since it is cloud-based, and I've been doing it for several years now with Avast, and OA with no problems.

I have 3 machines (XP-Home, XP-Pro, and Vista) and use the same set up but one has MBAM Pro on it), again with no conflicts.

Offline jason7619

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 12:14:22 AM »
Hello,

Thank you for the ideas given. ;)

@SafeSurf;

Do you mean Avast and PrevX both in on-demand? OA Premium with WebGuard on with Avast(all shields)/Prevx w/Safeonline(paid)...no exceptions to be made? Any encounters with PrevX blocking/detecting malware and at the same time Avast also catching it?

Have one experience with Avira free with Prevx free both realtime with both detecting same malware freezing my XP SP2 system. I was with OA free back then and Avira  was still with the Prevx cloud.

@DavidR;

Thanks for the welcome:-). Is your set-up all realtime? Any exceptions made for compatibility?

---

Thanks guys really appreciate the help :)

Avast IS 19.8  /  Malwarebytes Premium / Windows 10 x64 Build 1903 / AMD A10 Processor desktop with R9 Graphics 32GB Ram.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 12:41:32 AM »
No, MBAM is the free version so is on-demand only, avast and SAS Pro are real time scanners. MailWasher Pro is an anti-spam application and my firewall only has the firewall elements loaded.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 09:16:17 AM »
Do you mean Avast and PrevX both in on-demand? OA Premium with WebGuard on with Avast(all shields)/Prevx w/Safeonline(paid)...no exceptions to be made? Any encounters with PrevX blocking/detecting malware and at the same time Avast also catching it?

Have one experience with Avira free with Prevx free both realtime with both detecting same malware freezing my XP SP2 system. I was with OA free back then and Avira  was still with the Prevx cloud.
No...Avast and PrevX both as resident (on all the time).  I have all shields for Avast, PrevX (with SafeOnline set to high), and OA (with Web Guard on) on all the time.  However I have made "trusted exclusions" in all the software to avoid conflicts even though I haven't had any.  I have had situations where Avast has caught things that PrevX has not and PrevX has caught things that Avast didn't and eventually did on the next update while surfing, so I have avoided infections.   MBAM on-demand (free) I use free on 2 machines and Pro on the other machine.  No conflicts at all with my set up.

Offline jason7619

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 12:10:49 AM »
Thanks guys! What just I had in mind.

Thanks and will post again if I encounter any problems.

@SafeSurf;

I use Sandboxie 3.50 paid. I didn't use SBIE when I used Prevx (without SafeOnline)then. Doesn't it conflict with SafeOnline? I got a PrevX Safeonline via Facebook..I think last year but haven't used it.

Thanks again ;D

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:54:28 AM »
I use Sandboxie 3.50 paid. I didn't use SBIE when I used Prevx (without SafeOnline)then. Doesn't it conflict with SafeOnline? I got a PrevX Safeonline via Facebook.
You have a different version than I do and the version I have did have an issue with SB and PrevX, however I'm not sure if your version does or did have an issue.   Your best bet is to look at the PrevX forum at Wilder's http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105 and find out.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.  Thanks.