Author Topic: Avast hangs during on demand scan  (Read 2856 times)

Adrian Ho

Avast hangs during on demand scan
« on: March 29, 2009, 12:14:37 PM »
I  had been using Avast 4.8 Home edition for just about two months now and I kind of like it, and thought it's the best and had been proud to tell my friends about it. Now, just today, I tried to do an on demand scan 4 times and it hung up on all 4 times ??? I ran check disk then defrag and its the same. Please give me an answer on what's wrong and what I could do.

CharleyO

Re: Avast hangs during on demand scan
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Adrian.   :)

We will need more information.

What OS, other security programs, any recent changes made to the system, etc.

Adrian Ho

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:11:01 AM »
Good day Tech and thanks a lot for responding. I want to add also that this problem only occurred yesterday(March 28, 2009) and just last week I did an on demand scan and Avast worked fine. As to 1)recent changes made: Just recently, because of the Conficker warnings, I'm changing all my passwords and running Firefox so that all private are erased after each session and also ran ccleaner and erased temporary files(only those older than 48 hrs). As to 2)other Security software: Since I had a reformat this January I only installed Avast, nothing else, although just yesterday, again because of this Conficker scare, I downloaded Sophos Conficker Remover(but not install), Windows Defender(but not install cause its incompatible with my OS) and Eset Conficker Remover(did not install but discarded it cause its only for Conficker A). Now Lastly to my OS: I still use MS XP Service Pack 1-Now I know you could tell me to update and all but here when I had the reformat most probably the technician who did this used pirated software and I have to say again it was working fine til yesterday. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:31:34 AM »
Good day Tech and thanks a lot for responding.
What? Where?
The best things in life are free.

Adrian Ho

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 02:08:15 AM »
 ;DVery sorry, I thought there was just Tech here, as in Computer Technician, answering but I was wrong. Thanks should be for CharleyO

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 02:18:36 AM »
;DVery sorry, I thought there was just Tech here, as in Computer Technician, answering but I was wrong. Thanks should be for CharleyO
It's ok. Welcome to avast forums ;)
The best things in life are free.