Author Topic: A few questions about windows vista firewall with advanced security  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
How I can use it to block inbound/outbound connection without causing problems for other programs?

I don't want to use sphinx-soft program, so are there any way that Windows firewall itself ask for permission  to allow outbound connection?

when I enable outbound connection blocking, my browser and other programs cannot access internet anymore, so, firewall has been blocked their connection and did not ask me any question... why?

I tried to go to "windows vista firewall with advanced security" in administrative tools and add rule for firefox and then for avast server and I could browse internet, but I've so many programs that need Internet and it would take a long time to set a rule per each-one, so how I can set windows firewall options to ask it'self per each program...

I think if the things that I want is not possible, it's better to stay with my nice "outpost firewall pro 2009"!!! just I was looking to remove the programs that I can replace with windows built-in features!!!
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: A few questions about windows vista firewall with advanced security
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 01:50:49 AM »
are there any way that Windows firewall itself ask for permission  to allow outbound connection?
No, only using Vista Firewall Control http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

when I enable outbound connection blocking
How? What did you do?

Maybe you should wait for avast firewall on June?
Or try other ones, PCTools, Online Armour, Comodo...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:08:13 AM »
No, only using Vista Firewall Control http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html
no! I did not like it, not interesting program!

How? What did you do?
when I go in administrative tools and then in windows firewall with advanced security, I click on windows firewall properties and in "Domain Profile", "private Profile" and "Public Profile" I choose "Block" for outbound connection :)

Maybe you should wait for avast firewall on June?
Or try other ones, PCTools, Online Armour, Comodo...
No, it seems you did not got me, already I've one the best firewall (outpost fw pro 2009 with lifetime license), I did ask about it to remove installed firewall and use the built-in windows firewall that is integrated inside windows... hope you could understand me, I know about almost all of the Firewalls that are compatible with windows, but, the built in firewall inside windows are very different and more compatible with other component of windows, like the network profiles or media sharing settings and other wizards inside windows :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 02:18:04 AM »
I choose "Block" for outbound connection :)
For what? Which program? Which service?
You can't block "everything".

If you have Outpost firewall, why should you even bother with Windows firewall? Outpost if far far better than the built in Vista Firewall.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 02:49:36 AM »
no! I did not like it, not interesting program!
<snip>

It isn't meant to be an interesting program but a more friendly interface to the Vista Firewall's outbound protection which isn't very friendly.

It isn't a full blown firewall so you aren't able to do as much with it as with other firewalls as it is working to/within the limitations of the Vista firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 02:55:30 AM »
I choose "Block" for outbound connection :)
For what? Which program? Which service?
You can't block "everything".

If you have Outpost firewall, why should you even bother with Windows firewall? Outpost if far far better than the built in Vista Firewall.

I choose block in main option and then go to exception and choose the allowed programs and all other would remain blocked, like any other FW... :)
yeah, you right... outpost is very very better! Love it! add it to next avast!!  ;D ;D ;D !!! just kidding ;)

It isn't meant to be an interesting program but a more friendly interface to the Vista Firewall's outbound protection which isn't very friendly.

It isn't a full blown firewall so you aren't able to do as much with it as with other firewalls as it is working to/within the limitations of the Vista firewall.
You are right, thanks DavidR :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:08:21 AM by Omid Farhang »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 03:03:30 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security