Author Topic: cant update  (Read 3341 times)

marci

cant update
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:31:21 PM »
Hi  all,
 Been having issues   with Avast ...
 It is not  showing up   in  the tray  ( although  when I  do  download  email, the  avast  icon  pops up in the  trayat that  point.. but is it  supposed to be there all the time? )

and  am  having  trouble  updating...
Used to  have AVG   and   per suggestion  from this  forum ,  ran  the uninstall  from  AVG...
 still  having  trouble...
Tried to  click on  the update   button  from the  Avast  thing that looks like  the  car stereo  faceplate... It  didnt  do anything... but  this morning,  I did it and  it  started  to  do  an update... but then   stopped...
 Clicking on the button  again  now  does  nothing...

Am  running XP  and  Zone Alarm...

ALso, my  email  program  and   the net  randomly  crash  ...  Using  firefox.. (  did the    manual  proxy thing  that the  video on the Avast  website shows.. still  getting  random  crashes ) ... and  using Eudora  for email ( yeah , I know its  an old  program.. but  I  dont know of any other  program  that  lets me  mark  email in color to  sort  them so I  stick  with the  dinosaur.. )

Also ,  when  click on the  " submit a  ticket  to the tech  support "  link on the  website, it  brings up  just a  blank white page... Is  that  tech  support  just for the paid  version?

marci

Re: cant update
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:32:51 PM »
one more thing:  I see a lot of people posting logs... and I have no idea  how  to find  that...
 If I  should be  posting a log,  can someone please tell me  where  Im  supposed to  look for it?
 thanks ......

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:21:42 PM »
Start by running this tool and see if it makes any difference - AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

Does your firewall allow avast.setup, ashWebSv.exe, ashMaiSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, check for email this will force the firewall to ask permission again for these processes.  First ensure that al remnants of AVG are gone.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

marci

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 09:11:21 PM »
Hey  David,
  I  did  run the  AVg  remover... but  will do it again ...
 I have  Zone ALarm  as a  firewall and yes, all of the  things you  asked about are  in there....Ill try your  suggestions.. thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:31:09 PM »
OK, ZA on occasion seems to suffer amnesia on programs allowed access.

Strangely only two days ago I had my firewall block internet access (ashWebSv.exe) even though it was listed as a trusted program, deleting the entry resolved the problem. So it isn't unknown.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

marci

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:10:01 PM »
THanks.. that  might be it then ....
 although there  may be  something in our system that  is  creating  havoc  too..
 A few days a go, our  search browsers  seem  to have  gotten hijacked... ( Google  and Yahoo  both ) ...
 If  I  do a  search ,  then  click on the  website I  want  from the  search,  something  redirects  to  another  website ...
sometimes  related  in  topic   but sometimes  something  totally  random ...( the  site I  clicked on it  there. This other page  just opens  over it.. ) ...
 Doesnt always  happen...
 Im about ready  to shoot this thing

Mr.Agent

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:01:48 PM »
*Just to say nice switch from AVG to Avast because Avast got really a good anti virus you will like it* :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 11:33:28 PM »
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).

marci

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 12:25:10 AM »
I tried to reinstall the program, but it gave an error message 03. So I  deleted it and downloaded another copy. It gave the same message.
Boy oh boy this is fun.
Marci