Author Topic: Avast! Newbie with Netscape problem  (Read 2491 times)

pres92

Avast! Newbie with Netscape problem
« on: May 07, 2004, 08:31:55 AM »
First, I have used another VS program for more years than I care to mention.  I am SO happy to have found avast!  It seems like a great program.

Here's my question.  I use Netscape Communicator 4.79 as my email client and Mozilla Firefox and Netscape Navigator as my browsers (I have IE 5.5 too but never use it).  I have NS Mail Notification in my startup group.  Usually, when I boot up, NS Mail Notification launches my dialer window, and the NS Mail icon is animated until I dial up.  Once I am connected to the internet the NS Mail Notification prg checks to see if I have mail waiting, and it so, the icon changes to a waving red flag.  Also, I have the prg set to check for mail every 60 minutes.  If I am online, it alerts me that there are new messages waiting ... if I am offline, it pops my dialer window.  

For some reason, the NS Mail Notification prg does not play nicely with avast! -- or at least I haven't figured out how to make them work together.  The dialer window does not pop up, and the NS Mail icon spins momentarily on bootup, but then changes to an "X".  It seems to check my email when I am online, but does not launch the dialer every hour when I am offline.  

Any idea how I can fix this?    Thanks for any suggestions.

Sys:  'doz98, 266Mhz, PII, 8GB HD, 256 Mb  ???