Author Topic: email problem  (Read 8149 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: email problem
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 06:56:57 PM »
Could be a couple of things, remnants of McAfee or firewall blocking the email scanner. Though another is AIM if you are using the AOHell proprietary email application, what is your email program ?

You don't say what version of McAfee, so here are a slew of uninstall tools.
McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe Or http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see - How do I uninstall SecurityCenter? http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashMaiSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and check for email, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

If it is the AOHell email client, I don't have any experience of it or it it can be made to work with the Internet Mail (ashMaiSV.exe) localhost proxy.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Danlaw83

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 09:30:59 PM »
Hmmm I think that might have taken care of it.  Thank you very much, DavidR.  It looks like the link from MajorGeeks worked.  Everything is working much better and faster since running this tool!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 10:34:40 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Looks like it left some debris behind after the uninstall, which was getting in the way.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hylen

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 03:21:53 AM »
I'm going to throw my two cents in here. I see a couple of other relevant threads but this one's the most recent, so here goes:

I'm running XP Home SP2. I use Thunderbird. I just uninstalled AVG 7.5 and installed Avast. Thereafter I too was unable to send or receive email.

"Sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server 127.0.0.1 failed." Ditto for incoming.

In Thunderbird I had to go to Tools | Account Settings | Outgoing Server (SMTP) | Edit | and under Server Name type in smtp.netzero.com. Likewise under Server Settings | Server Name I typed in pop.netzero.com. That did the trick.

(I had entered 127.0.0.1 previously as described here: http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7985.)

I also got this, which I have never seen before:

However it all seems to be working at the moment, so I guess I'm good to go. Stupid computers. :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 02:34:18 PM »
Well I haven't read the eldergeek topic, but they have sold you a bill of goods or you misread what was there. Edit: I went to check out this and these settings are for AVG and avast doesn't need these for your email to be scanned (see below), so it looks like your uninstall of AVG didn't reset your email account settings.

With windows XP you don't need to make any change to the email account settings as the avast email scanning for newer OSes is transparent. It is only when you are using Win9.x or WinME that you need to make any changes and even that can be done automatically using the email protection wizard, which is only available with those older OSes.

So the change (or change back) of your email account settings is likely to be what cause the alert message to be displayed as the old password may not have been retained.

hylen

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »
Well I haven't read the eldergeek topic

I don't blame you since it's rather long (and not really Avast-relevant), although not as long as the thread it links to.

but they have sold you a bill of goods or you misread what was there.

Heh heh. Yes and no, as I wrote it myself.  :o

I went to check out this and these settings are for AVG and avast doesn't need these for your email to be scanned (see below), so it looks like your uninstall of AVG didn't reset your email account settings.

Agreed.

So the change (or change back) of your email account settings is likely to be what cause the alert message to be displayed as the old password may not have been retained.

Evidently that is the case. Anyway email is being scanned and life moves on, however fitfully.

Looks like a pretty good forum here. I appreciate the support. Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 02:42:18 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.