Author Topic: NO SYSTEM FILES  (Read 2979 times)

LAB

NO SYSTEM FILES
« on: May 07, 2004, 02:03:14 PM »
Since having problems with my win98se system with files not opening with the previous update of Avast, I un-installed it and installed the latest version of Avast Home Version. Just today, I noticed that if you go to settings/virus chest/system files that there are no system files shown where there used to be 3 system files before the update.

I also tested Avast with the Eicar zip test file as I always do after installing Avast. After down loading the test file, I right clicked on it and clicked on the "scan with Avast". Avast detects it as a virus but when you choose to delete the file, move to chest, or any other option; Avast box pops up stating "Avast can not process due to the following reasons" and displays "c/Mydocuments/Eicar.zip"

Should I try to uninstall Avast or is there another solution?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:NO SYSTEM FILES
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 03:06:33 AM »

You always can use the repair function...
Sorry but Windows 98 is not quite easy to help for me... I forgot a lot of things  :-\
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 03:37:56 AM »
cochise,

Apparently, you stored Eicar in your Documents folder.  Avast will not move zips occasionaly.  Manually remove the zip file from the folder and you should be fine.

Remember that Avast looks at Eicar as a real virus!  Eicar has been known to cause problems in some systems even thought it is not real in a sense.  I would not habitually use it.

Techie

Cochise

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 12:45:10 PM »

You always can use the repair function...
Sorry but Windows 98 is not quite easy to help for me... I forgot a lot of things  :-\

Repair option fixed it. System files are now back again. Thanks for the help!