Author Topic: Strange result of 1st scan: "Unable to scan: The directory name is invalid"  (Read 3246 times)

arlecchino

I just this evening installed Avast! (4.8 Home Edition) and ran a "standard" scan. When I came back in later to check the results, the scan had finished, but the following appeared in the "Results of Last Scan" window, which was showing on the monitor:

"C:\Windows:DB00D3770E582EB1 | Unable to scan: The directory name is invalid."

The portion on the left appeared under the heading "Name of file"; the portion on the right appeared under the heading "Result."

I opened Windows Explorer and looked at the directories listed under the C:\ drive, but didn't see the directory that Avast! was referring to. I then did a search in Windows by entering just a portion of the name--E582EB1--but the search returned nothing.

Does anybody know whether this is a false reading? Or is there actually a directory on my computer somewhere that Avast! is unable to scan and that I can't see? (Incidentally, I do have Windows Explorer set to "Show hidden files and folders.")

Thanks for any help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The : is strange (an invalid) in the middle of the name...
What if you run:
chkdsk /R
schedule the check on next boot, boot...?
The best things in life are free.

arlecchino

Did the chkdsk/r as suggested.

Just ran the Avast! scan again in standard mode: same result as before.

???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Is there actually a folder called Windows:DB00D3770E582EB1 in the c:\ drive ?

If so it is somewhat suspicious, a simple test trying to create a folder of that name in C results in a windows error and it drops the : colon from the folder name (see images).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Sorry arlecchino, the problem is that folder with a colon in the name as I've posted before.
In fact, the folder shouldn't be there, it can't... but why avast is detecting it is the mystery.
I won't worry about that result (seems an avast fault), just let only "infected file" to be reported and not "errors".
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Please go to avast! settings and enable the creation of the report file; let any kind of errors be included in the report. Then, run the scan again - and after it's done, post the corresponding part from the report file here.
Thanks.