Author Topic: Schedule boot time scan - Access denied  (Read 3296 times)

1eyedjack

Schedule boot time scan - Access denied
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:38:57 PM »
Do I need to be logged on to Windows Vista Premium with Administrator rights before I can use Avast 4.8 professional to schedule a boot time scan, please?  If I log on as a user with standard rights it tells me Access Denied - cannot schedule a boot time scan, but it does not tell me why.

Thanks folks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Schedule boot time scan - Access denied
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:43:06 PM »
You have to have administrator rights I believe as it makes changes to the registry to initiate the boot-time scan. So a standard user or limited user wouldn't have permission to modify the registery I believe.

I don't use Vista with its UAC hoops to jump through, but this may be the reason.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

1eyedjack

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 10:45:35 PM »
Thanks - I think I may have a rootkit (discussed in separate thread in relevant subforum) and was wondering if it is the rootkit that it knocking out the boot time schedule.  But I rest easy.

Thanks again

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 12:07:47 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Yes I have seen and replied on the other topic, and I don't believe you have a problem, as it would appear that spyware detector is alerting incorrectly.

In fact a google search for it returns some negative hits that it may well be a rogue program itself, where did you get it ?
See http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/spywaredetector.com,

I tend to stick with known products that are at the top of their game like the two in my signature, though Webroot Spysweeper, that you also checked with and found nothing is also good if somewhat heavy on resources.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security