Author Topic: Avast! hangs during On-Demand Scan.  (Read 4926 times)

Adrian Ho

Avast! hangs during On-Demand Scan.
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:44:35 AM »
Good day again, I just scanned my PC with Avast! and it hung, again. At about 83%, the file it was scanning was C:/Windows/Fonts.

Recent changes I made because of the Conficker warnings, changed all my passwords and running Firefox so that all private info are erased after each session and also ran ccleaner and erased temporary files(only those older than 48 hrs). As to other Security software, I only installed Avast, nothing else, although just yesterday, again because of this Conficker scare, I downloaded Sophos Conficker Remover(but not install), Windows Defender(but not install cause its incompatible with my OS). Now Lastly to my OS: I still use MS XP Service Pack 1-Now I know you could tell me to update and all but here when I had the reformat most probably the technician who did this used pirated software and I have to say again it was working fine til March 28. I did a scan just a week before.

Now my questions are: 1)Can Avast! detect and fix a conficker(all variants?) infection by itself? and 2)Why does it hang recently during on demand scan, is there something wrong with the scanner? It's happened 4 times already since 28th of March.(I downloaded Malwarebytes and its scan completed in 22+ mins). I like Avast! but now it hangs ???

YoKenny

Re: Avast! hangs during On-Demand Scan.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:08:45 AM »
Welcome Adrian

To answer:
1) You have a pirated copy of Windows XP so suffer the consequences!  :o

2 Windows Defender and Malwarebytes MBAM works on my all of my systems and avast! does not hang during on demand scan for me.

Its a good thing that in these days that they don't hang pirates in public and leave them there to be dined upon by whatever bird or animal resourceful enough to reach them.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:10:35 AM by YoKenny »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 03:07:56 PM »
Conficker exploits vulnerabilities of non-updated Windows installations... so...
But I think avast is still able to detect and block them.
The best things in life are free.

Adrian Ho

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 04:58:33 AM »
Thanks for the responses. Anyway, To Sir YoKenny, about the pirated XP install. You know here in our place original copies are hard to come by and if they do, they're pretty expensive. What I can say about this is that the people who are in power here(government) are the real living pirates they're the ones doing all this pirating and they have the best of everything including original copies of Windows. Whats left for the good, poor people are the pirated versions, wherin one reason for this is that it's all we can afford. I wish I was also living in a place where everythings better, including the government and the wages.(Sorry if its all out of topic) Thanks. Peace.

Adrian Ho

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 05:00:17 AM »
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 05:08:10 AM by Adrian Ho »

Adrian Ho

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 01:03:23 AM »
Maybe its because my system is kind of low in RAM(512 MB-can this have an effect in AV performance?) thats why its hanging? I found out though that when I ran the on demand scan in 'safe-mode' it completed, Yes! ;) although it takes a bit long compared to Malwarebytes but then that does'nt matter as long as it is sure that my PC is clean. Congrats. Make it the best.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 05:26:19 PM »
Maybe its because my system is kind of low in RAM(512 MB-can this have an effect in AV performance?)
It could be, depending on what other programs are running in background.
How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximately at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

Also, let's say clearly: if during an avast! scan,
1. avast! freezes or crashes, it's probably avast! problem.
2. The computer freezes or restarts, it could be e.g. a conflict with some other program, or a hardware problem.
3. The computer powers down - it's probably a hardware problem (e.g. overheating). The scan generates a lot of hard disk activity (and is also CPU intensive), which may increase the temperature of your hardware. I suggest to check the coolers in the case.
4. If you get a blue screen, it could have a bug in avast! drivers (but then, there is not a power down).

Adrian Ho

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 03:48:03 PM »
Thanks Tech. I think most probably now it's my old PC that's to blame, it can only handle so much. It's still the latest 20th Century model ;D. I'll just run avast! in safe mode, no problem. It's the best! One of these days when avast! continues to perform well I'll be willing to get the Pro. Does it have lifetime guarantee?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 05:49:42 PM »
Does it have lifetime guarantee?
What do you mean?

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »
Does it have lifetime guarantee?
What do you mean?

Maybe they want to sell pirated versions? 

See post #3.