Author Topic: avast.setup rant  (Read 6549 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast.setup rant
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 05:17:03 PM »
RejZoR, don't lose time. It's spamming.
The best things in life are free.

BTaz

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 08:14:22 PM »
Okay.  First, RejZoR:  I didn't know that would work.  I've used Purrint Capture so long, I assumed it was nvidia card issue (ATI card probably would work, don't know).  I prefer using an app to automate it to save time.  I find many situations where going back and forth is not productive.  On that note, I only get 3-3.4 kb/s transfers and my problem is with large files (apparently 4MB+) trying to download in the background when I'm trying to do other things.  When's it going to finish?  How big is it?  I couldn't see any of that info at the time.  That is my gripe.

It appears to be my computer that is the cause, I'll give you all that much.  Maybe Comodo Registry Cleaner screwed some stuff up.  I know it did a number on WMP which is now fine after reinstall.  I don't know about you, but I'm done with registry cleaners for good.  All of them have caused some kind of problem.  One would delete my font entries.  Another caused Roxio to stop working.  This is over several years and a few PCs.  I don't know.

Anyway, after coming out of Standby mode, I got another update this morning, this time 24MB (vps-9040500.vpu).  I canceled then restarted the computer.  The update was then 31kb (vps-9040500-9040400.vpu).  That's a big issue for me.  It takes about 2 to 2.5 hours for me to download 24MB, and it shouldn't even be downloading that file in the first place.  Anyway, I'm going to try to fully uninstall then reinstall following Tech's advice.  If that fails I'll probably reinstall Windows next week.  Might even do it regardless.  I'll post again if the reinstall doesn't fix it.

Hey, did you guys know uninstall doesn't show up as a word in Spell Check?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:16:30 PM by BTaz »

buttoni

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 04:59:28 PM »
Yep, Comodo Registry Cleaner and all reg cleaners can hiccup and remove some GOOD things.   :(  I, too, will never use one again since a recent clean install of my OS.  I used CRC once and once only.  All appeared to be OK, pc was running much faster.  Then a week or so later when System Restore no longer worked, I was most upset.  Could I say for certain CRC broke SR?  No.  But since SR had not malfunctioned in 4 years and using CRC was the only major thing I'd done lately, I'm firmly convinced CRC caused the damage.  I reinstalled System Restore per MS KB directions and it has worked correctly ever since.  Problem with reg cleaners is often the damage is not discovered for a very long time, until that function is invoked by user.  Then, it is very difficult to diagnose/determine WHAT caused the damage due to time elapsed and what all has occurred in the interim.

But I digress.  You mentioned you were using AVG on this box before, so you might want to use their removal tool (if you didn't already) to be sure there are absolutely no traces of it left on your system.  You can get it here:

http://www.avg.com/download-tools

Then a clean uninstall of Avast (using aswclear tool) and clean reinstall of Avast might resolve.  If there were/are any traces of AVG still on your system, they may be impacting Avast's ability to install properly.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:06:57 PM by buttoni »