Author Topic: my USB thumb/flash drive hangs and cannot be read  (Read 6241 times)

mon40

my USB thumb/flash drive hangs and cannot be read
« on: April 04, 2009, 02:00:09 AM »
Hi, good day..

First I would like to thank Avast for giving for free home edition which not only protects our pc from viruses coming from drives but also from web.

I just have one concern. After using avast for 5 days now, i started to experience hanging of my usb flash drive. Once i inserted my flash drive into usb slot, the icon at right of taskbar appears as usual but once I try to open windows file explorer i don't see the drive such as in may case F:. I also tried to open it in "run" but typing F: then enter but i'm sure the drive is not available. I have tried another flash drive but just the same. Sometimes after restarting my pc, i get a chance to browse my flash drive once in a blue moon, it happens after one or two times reboots.

I started to experience it just when I installed avast so I'm sure it has something to do with it. I need your technical expertise, please help. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: my USB thumb/flash drive hangs and cannot be read
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »
Let your USB drive plugged and run Autorun Eater or Flash Disinfector, allowing them to clean up all drives. They would create hidden folders named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. These folders protect your drives from future infection. After that, reboot your computer.

I also suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

mon40

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:36:16 AM »
Thank you so much sir. I'll try to do your instructions then I'll report the result. As of now, it's already getting easier to access my usb without doing anything yet and i thought great Avast might have already incorporated in the updates a cure for it.

Btw, i'm not getting yet my registration key for home edition since I registered last April 1, 2009. Since there's a notification that I will received it within 24 hours at the email i provided, when do we usually receive it? I'm not demanding for 24 hrs since it's totally free (thanks really for that!), but i'm just wondering if I'm still lined up in your record or if my email is reachable.  Pls advise thanks
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:07:21 AM by mon40 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 05:39:53 PM »
Btw, i'm not getting yet my registration key for home edition since I registered last April 1, 2009. Since there's a notification that I will received it within 24 hours at the email i provided (edited), when do we usually receive it? I'm not demanding for 24 hrs since it's totally free (thanks really for that!), but i'm just wondering if I'm still lined up in your record or if my email is reachable.  Pls advise thanks
Generally, you receive the key some seconds or minutes later... I won't publish your email here or you'll receive spam from spambots.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 06:56:18 PM »

Unless you enjoy spam email, please remove your email address in the line below :

notification that I will received it within 24 hours at the email i provided (          ), when do we usually

mon40

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 04:16:50 AM »
Thanks for the advice not to publish email address.

mon40

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 04:59:20 AM »
Btw, i'm not getting yet my registration key for home edition since I registered last April 1, 2009. Since there's a notification that I will received it within 24 hours at the email i provided (edited), when do we usually receive it? I'm not demanding for 24 hrs since it's totally free (thanks really for that!), but i'm just wondering if I'm still lined up in your record or if my email is reachable.  Pls advise thanks
Generally, you receive the key some seconds or minutes later... I won't publish your email here or you'll receive spam from spambots.

Thanks for the advice. I finally got the license no. by registering the second time. Since you said i would receive in minutes, I waited for it and it came in to my spam folder. I might have deleted the email from spam the first time i registered. Thanks for just being there for help. til then God bless.

Mon

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 10:26:57 AM »

Glad to know that you now have succeeded.   :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 02:00:42 PM »
Thanks for just being there for help.
You're welcome. If you want to help me, don't thank me, just sign up & use (sign up only is not enough) Mozy to get 2,200 Mb for free remote backup system. Enjoy its safety!