Author Topic: What's the status on the new Firewall development?  (Read 2558 times)

wile_e

What's the status on the new Firewall development?
« on: February 07, 2009, 05:23:59 PM »
Is Avast still developing a Firewall to complement their anti-virus program? Will it be a stand-alone install, or offered in a full-suite? Will it have HIPS? I've been trying to find a good firewall for Vista 64-bit with little luck. Comodo works fine with Avast, but the Defense+ module creates a lot of pop-ups. I'm looking for a firewall that is a little more unobtrusive and intelligent. But I don't want something like Norton 2009, where it is completely hidden. Norton 2009 seems to automatically create rules for everything. There are a few other firewalls out there, but they either don't have HIPS or don't support Vista 64-bit.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What's the status on the new Firewall development?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 05:54:06 PM »
It is still in development.

The firewall will be a firewall not like some with more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at. avast 5 is planned to have a behaviour module so that would take care of the HIPS style of monitoring, incorporated into the AV, which is where I think it should be. I hate firewalls that try to be all things to all men.

There will I believe be an avast security suite as that is what must general users want they don't want to have to shop around for multiple applications. The AV will as far as I'm aware continue to be available as stand alone.

I don't know if the firewall will be available as a stand alone product. As far as I remember in the topics I have seen there hasn't been any firm confirmation in this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hyjaxltd

Re: What's the status on the new Firewall development?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »
...i wuz brows'n to find a firewall that will work well on Vista 64bit an Avast!.  But now Im gonna be hav'n wet dreamz 2nite for sure!!!