Author Topic: Avast sound warning but no splash page  (Read 3003 times)

SilentNewfie

Avast sound warning but no splash page
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:01:27 PM »
Was visiting a website I've never had a problem with before.  I heard the "Warning Virus Detected" dialogue and turned off my modem before the website could finish loading.  I didn't receive a splash page detailing the virus, nor have I found it in my Avast Scan.  Wondering if anyone has encountered this before and if I'm safe to think I don't have one.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast sound warning but no splash page
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:26:41 PM »
If this is a web shield detection then it should have blocked the downlaod from the internet, so you shouldn't find anything on your system.

Have you been tweaking any of the web shield settings ?

What is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections. C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashLogV.exe - Or check the source file using notepad C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Warning.log

Change any http part in the URL to hXXP so the link isn't active.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SilentNewfie

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:36:14 PM »
I haven't been tweaking any of the settings. I just put it on high and let it go with that.

There isn't an infected file so I suppose it was caught before it managed to install.  My log file tells me:

4/5/2009 11:52:31 AM   SYSTEM   1696   Sign of "JS:Packed-AW [trj]" has been found in "hxxp://oldmusicbox.com/?sid=cmp0026\{gzip}" file.

What's confusing me is nothing popped up at all. It just played the Virus detected wav.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »
That malware name is generally an indication that the site has been hacked, there have been many of these in the forums and all of those that I have investigated have been good detections.

Having just checked that url the site has been hacked, there is a large chunk of obfuscated javascript (hiding its intention) after the closing html tag a standards, no, no and highly suspicious. The code is on a single line rather than laid out conventionally, I have broken this down in the image to make it easier to see. This line goes on for a considerable bit longer.

Re: the lack of a pop-up, try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Do you get an alert on this link, it is a harmless test file ?
Web Shield Test - http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:00:56 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security