Author Topic: Licence expiration  (Read 12603 times)

warlock

Re: Licence expiration
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 06:56:11 PM »
When talking about possible new implementations, best solution would be to completely get rid of manual registration and implement an automatic system. Like, generating some unique but constant ID (constant = it will be always the same on the particular PC, no matter how many times you reinstall Avast or the OS; HW specific?) and automatically registering during first update. This will be better for users (there is not one week I don't have to re-register Avast on someones home computer, people are just so stupid they can't make it themselves) and for you too, as the statistics would be more accurate.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 07:05:15 PM »
The only reason why the registration process works as it works is to verify the email addresses. I.e. the only reliable way to verify the email address is to actually send something to it (the license key).

Now, of course, we're discussing whether such a verification is really necessary and outweighs all the hassles associated with the registration process; if we concluded that it isn't then we'd probably switch to an in-program registration (activation).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 08:28:46 PM »
we'd probably switch to an in-program registration (activation).
Please, do that and you can collect all statistic info that you want...
The best things in life are free.

warlock

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 09:40:55 PM »
The email address verification is pretty useless, from my experience many people use disposable email addresses to avoid spam, so the address is never the same even if they are just re-registering.
And computer technicians don't bother with registering each computer separately, they just get one key and use it for like 3-4 months before getting another one. In my neighborhood there is some 30 machines using one key, so there goes your statistic accuracy.

So I would say that the inconveniences associated with registration outweigh its usefulness by far.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »
In my neighborhood there is some 30 machines using one key, so there goes your statistic accuracy.

Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't be the reason for that, would you?  ;D

Anyway, what happens when their license expires? Do they call you, and you have to make 30 house calls to plug in a new key for them?

Wouldn't it be easier for each of them to get their own key with their own email address, so they can get it later if needed, and do their own re-registration?
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Danastacia

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 07:08:25 PM »
I am having a BIG problem with getting a new 'activation key.' My free home version expired a few days ago. Before it expired, I got several warning messages to register, again. Each time I got a message, I went to the avast site and clicked the "my registration has expired..." and followed the directions, as I have done the past few years, and 'NOTHING.' I have yet to get a response or an activation key. I have sent email after email trying to solicite a response to my problem...no response. I even removed avast and reinstalled it, using another email address to see if I could get an activation key...nothing. I have checked my firewall, spam blockers, etc....nothing is blocking email from avast. I was able to get on this forum by using my work email (also the same email provider), so needless to say, I am very frustrated and would like someone to help me with this problem.

*Please*

Danastacia

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 07:36:06 PM »
Try changing the email address you used as your ISP or email server may have an anti-spam filter blocking, this has been the most common reason for not receiving the email.

The fact you have sent multiple emails with no response basically confirms this as avast aren't that tardy in their response.

Try a free yahoo account as people have found that works and the email gets through.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Danastacia

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 07:44:12 PM »
Thank you, David!
I will try that. I used my second email address, but it was with the same provider, so that could be the problem. I hesitated to think this might be the case, because I have used this same email address to register with avast for almost 3 years without a problem. I guess I was lucky before. *G*

I will let you know if that solves my problem.

Again, thanks!

Danastacia

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 07:53:17 PM »
You're welcome.

Yes, you have to try one from a different domain name as it is covered by the same potential problem of anti-spam. Policies change with ISP, if they get hit with a high amount of spam they take action. Though why avast.com would be blocked is beyond me.

Until then.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Danastacia

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 08:10:10 PM »
David,

I went to Yahoo and got a new email address. I then went to avast and clicked to get a new activation key. Within seconds I got the activation key. It worked!

My only problem is that I am not at home, where I can enter the key, asap. It will have to wait until I get home much later this evening. I hope it doesn't have a time limit of some sort. :(

Thanks a million. Have a great week.

Danastacia

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 08:12:07 PM »
No, it doesn't have a time limit.  That's why they give you 14 months to use that same key.

You could forward the email to your main account, and plug the key in when you get home.

Glad you got it straightened out.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Danastacia

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 08:15:10 PM »
Thank you, Scythe944,

I don't usually panic, but this was driving me nuts! lol

You have a great week, too.

Laters...:)

Danastacia

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »
I went to Yahoo and got a new email address. I then went to avast and clicked to get a new activation key. Within seconds I got the activation key. It worked!

My only problem is that I am not at home, where I can enter the key, asap. It will have to wait until I get home much later this evening. I hope it doesn't have a time limit of some sort. :(

Thanks a million. Have a great week.

You're welcome.

That is more like the response from the automated sending of the registration keys. Now you have to check and see if your ISP is using an anti-spam and why avast.com is on the list.

No limit on the key to be applied, but it is valid for 14 months (when you have to re-register once more) from the next calendar month, as that is tied into the registration when it was sent.

gandalf579

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 10:06:13 PM »
My home edition is set to expire in 23 days. I went to get a new registration key but it keeps telling me my "e-mail address is mistyped, please correct". I've changed my email since I first got Avast home edition and my old email address no longer exists. Do I have to uninstall Avast and download a new file to get my registration key? Or is there a way to change the email address that I used when I first got Avast to my current email?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 10:10:33 PM »
You don't need your old email address, just a valid email address.

There are three options in the registration page, choose the last one (though theoretically it shouldn't make any difference) and enter the email address you use now.