Author Topic: Huge problem  (Read 4234 times)

Raven2131990

Huge problem
« on: April 07, 2009, 03:06:06 AM »
Hi, I have a huge problem on the pc. I hope pol can help. My problem began with avast reporting some appdata files, one of them was like npr000 or something. It said they were worms and Trojans so I tried clicking delete. But, then avast started reporting slot of system files like dllhost.exe as viruses. I accidentally press delete. Then when I restarted my of said system files mismatch. So I system restored. But then, it didn't work, so I tried an earlier point. And then, it restarted, now everytime I start the of is shows the loading screenbut the black screen, then finally restatrt. Hope u guys can help

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: Huge problem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:38:44 AM »
Hi Raven2131990,

Welcome to the Forum.

Some Remarks:

First off, I am not certain what infection your computer was plagued by because you do not mention what was the name of the malware.
It said they were worms and Trojans so I tried clicking delete.
This is not too helpful.

Second point is that you should avoid deleting a file unless you are certain they are Viruses. Usualy sending them to the virus chest allows you to stop a Virus without deleting a file. If it turns out to be a flase report on the part of Avast then you can restore the file.

Third point. System restore does not retore files. A lot of people think so but it's not the case. What this does is restore settings. So say you install something and it makes modifications to your internet settings so that you can't conect to the net anymore. Well system restore will reset the settings to the way they were when your system was runing normally.

Some Pointers:

Because I'm not certain of what type of virus you were infected with then I can be too much help. In my honest opinion you will have to re-install your computer.

HOWEVER, I'm one person so you should wait for some of the other members take a look at this and confirm or infirm what I am saying.

If you have files you want to save there is a way to do that but I will hold of on details untill some of other forum members look at this.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 05:15:26 AM »
What is your OS, and do you have the relevant disk to install same? If so you could carry out a repair in stall of the OS, and thus not loose any of your files/pics etc.
It sounds rather like you had a rather serious infection involving quite a number of system files, which is probably why you cannot log on to your computer successfully, thus I fear CCU (above) is probably correct; a reinstall is likely.
For this to happen you quite likely had sime kind of vulnerability, (unpatched software), or deliberately ran a dodgy downloaded program, or clicked on a malicious email or IM attachment.
So for the future, it is important to learn how to best secure your computer against this kind of damage, and there is a wealth of help for that, here. (The best AV in the world is not sufficient to protect a vullnerable OS or user.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Raven2131990

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 05:28:02 AM »
yea i cant help with specifics with the pc in question out. but i fear as much, that i would have to reinstall it. The weird thing is, i was googling something in internet explorer, and then it redirected me to some shady site. The virus started to appear then, and got worst in like 20 minutes. Just a quick question, will a recovery cd allow me to reinstall it/ repair it? My pc is windows vista 32 bit, but i dunno, i thought avast was reporting false files but it kept reporting the same ones.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:33:34 AM by Raven2131990 »

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 02:23:09 PM »
Just a quick question, will a recovery cd allow me to reinstall it/ repair it?

A quick distinction between re-install and repair.
Repair would mean that the files that were infected or corrupted in the process of the infection could be fixed and your computer would be back to normal with no fuss.
Re-install means that you format the Windows partition and install your Operating system again, from scratch.

A recovery CD serves the purpose of a re-install. Depending on your company (computer brand such as HP, Dell...) you might see it referred to as a: Reset to Factory Defaults. All you have to do is put the Recovery CD in your machine and power the computer up. So the sequence would be Power the computer up, put in the CD, power it down and back up again or just let it restart. When it restarts with the Recovery CD already in the Disk Tray it will give you some options. Again depending on the company these may vary. HP tends to give me 5 options with the Re-install (Reset to Factory Defaults) being the last one. E-machines just jumps in the Reset to Factory Defaults without much ramble.

NOTE: Doing a re-install or reset to factory defaults takes time. It generally took me 45 minutes to an hour maybe more from the moment you put in the CD. Also you will loose all programs, settings and files you had up till now. It is as if you were powering up the computer for the first time like when you first got it.

Also you have to make sure you give ample time to do the security updates from Windows as well as for all the other programs. This was the most time consuming and extremely tedious. I wish you best of luck. If there are files you wish to recover there might be a way I can walk you through but that would require a bit of patience as well.

Speedy recovery :(
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Raven2131990

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 10:38:42 PM »
one more question, is it possible to use an oem disc? because i have one and im not sure if i can use that to reinstall windows.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:21:08 PM »
what do you understand by OEM disc?
Computer Systems:

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:21:54 PM »
one more question, is it possible to use an oem disc? because i have one and im not sure if i can use that to reinstall windows.
Does it belong to this computer or another one?
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »
You're referring to the recovery disc from the computer?
Computer Systems:

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:28:39 PM »
You're referring to the recovery disc from the computer?
Well, I'm asking... I had a HP notebook with recovery disks. Now I have a Dell one with OEM Vista DVD (not recovery disk).
The best things in life are free.