Author Topic: VRDB Location  (Read 10138 times)

Culpeper

VRDB Location
« on: June 06, 2003, 03:10:41 AM »
What directory is the VRDB located in?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:VRDB Location
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 12:48:40 PM »
It is in <avast-folder>\data\integ, it is in one file called avast.int.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Culpeper

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 04:50:11 PM »
It is in <avast-folder>\data\integ, it is in one file called avast.int.

Vlk

thank you

The other anti-virus software I have used in the past created rescue diskettes.  does the VRDB take the place of this option?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2003, 04:52:26 PM by Culpeper »

techie101

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 03:17:08 PM »
 ;)
Culpepper,

I can help you with this one.  The VRDB takes the place of the "rescue disk" found in other Anti-virus software.  Avast generates a file of the most important system files instead and stores them in the INTEG folder in AVAST.
If AVAST detects a serious problem, you only have to click the restore button, and AVAST will do the rest.
Simple!!!

techie101

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 03:18:25 PM »
CulPEPER

Sorry about the extra "p".

Techie ;D

Culpeper

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 06:01:46 PM »
CulPEPER

Sorry about the extra "p".

Techie ;D

No prob and thanks for the assistance.  I love this program and the support that comes with it.

xbenchman

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2003, 05:49:03 AM »
Was having trouble with the vrdb.  I installed Avast Home on May 19, 2003.  As of June 5, 2003 the vrdb had not been generated.  I tried the trick of setting the RunInterval=5 to see if it would pick it.  Left it sit for a couple hours and came back.  Started Avast and the vrdb had not been done yet.

I found this thread about where the vrdb was located.  I went there and sure enough the file avast.int was there and it was dated 5/19/2003 the same day I installed it.  I thought maybe I did something wrong so I downloaded avast home again and reinstalled.  It asked me if I wanted to repair and I said yes.  Changed the RunInterval=5 again and waited.  Nothing happened.

I figured I would deleted the file (avast.int) and if something went haywire I would uninstall and then reinstall.  Well that file is protected.  I shut all start up items off in the system information panel and rebooted.  I then went to the avast.int and renamed it to avast.000.  I then turned everything back on and rebooted.  About 30 seconds after everything loaded the harddrive started working.  I split the icons apart and sure enough the vrdb was doing its thing.  A couple minutes later it finished and I checked Avast and it confirmed that the vrdb had been generated.

I went back to the avast.000 file and deleted it.  Avast seemed to be ok in every other fashion just did not create the vrdb and did not seem inclined to do so.  Im just not sure what I did or what happened to stop the vrdb from doing its thing.  

Just trying to pass on some info about what I did to get the vrdb going in case others are having the same problem.

Please feel free to comment.

edit - Feel free to edit this post if need be.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 05:50:14 AM by xbenchman »

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2003, 06:14:30 AM »
Good job!

techie101

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2003, 03:28:36 PM »
 ;D
Xbench,

It appears that your ini file was corrupted.  Exactly how it happened who knows.
Renaming and reinstalling caused a new copy of the ini to be installed fixing your problem.  Deleting the ooo file got rid of the bad file.  Good move on you part.
Changing the runinternval time caused the vrdb generation right after install.
BE SURE TO CHANGE THE TIME BACK OR SET IT TO WHATEVER YOU NEED.
Avast is an excellent program and the auto update is one of the finer features, but things do happen and we are all here to help each other get the best of a great product.

Good Luck

techie101

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2003, 03:33:14 PM »
Xbench,

Addtional comment:  The reason the ini file is protected is so that you cant delete it  unintentionally.  Without the ini, Avast wont run at all.
Your action to rename was a good one until you decided on what you wanted to do.
I tend not to uninstall and reinstall unless it is a last resort, but sometimes it is the easiest and fastest way to correct a corrupted file or files in any program.

Later,
Techie

xbenchman

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2003, 06:30:17 PM »
techie101

It was not the ini file it was the int file.  Avast's file for the vrdb.  The difference is avast4.ini is avasts initialization file that tells the program how to run.  The avast.int is avast's vrdb file that will help you recover from a virus infection.

Avast is and always did run fine.  My problem was that the vrdb was never generated and no matter what I did I could not get it to start.  Until I did what I mentioned in my previous post.  I have not seen anything similarly posted here but, if it happend on my machine then the potential for it to happen to others is there.  I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew the problem I was having and how I fixed it.  (so far so good)

Thanks for the comments