Author Topic: Avast prevents my brother from browsing, also refuses to update  (Read 3072 times)

XE800

After exchanging AVG with Avast, he has been experiencing strange problems. When Avast is enabled, surfing with Internet Explorer is impossible (although online games like CS still works through Steam). Also, updating Avast is impossible, just gets "Can't connect to server" or something like that. I have tried disabling Windows Firewall with no effect. Disabling Avast enables browsing again. He is using Windows Vista Home Premium, and so am I. We are on identical hardware, got the same OS and updates, still he experiences these things while I do not. Any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast prevents my brother from browsing, also refuses to update
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:14:17 PM »
I would suggest that a) avg is completely removed, b) your firewall isn't blocking the web shield.

AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

I know you say the firewall is disabled (but the can't connect is classic firewall blocking), not advised and the Vista firewall has outbound checking disabled by default, so shouldn't get in the way, however if he has enabled outbound protection:

Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

So I would say it is more than likely remnants of AVG causing a conflict.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

XE800

After a lot of research it seems the real villain was Norton, which was included with our laptops when we bought them. Seems some process or other had survived the uninstall (this was ages ago, when installing AVG), and decided to go for a comeback when it noticed AVG was gone. Uninstalled it again, and although it gave me an error at the end and pointed me to a page that wouldn't load, things seem to be working now. Internet is back up again, Avast updates and the trouble my brother had with finding servers when playing Team Fortress through Steam is also gone.

Edit: went to Remove Programs again, just to check, and to my dismay Norton was still listed! But this time, when trying to uninstall, I was told the app seemed to be uninstalled already, and given the option to remove it from the list. Which I agreed to. Hopefully it is gone for good.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:43:28 PM by XE800 »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »
Run the Norton Removal Tool. http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html
This is a common problem, and sometimes doesn't surface for a time after uninstalling Norton.
Be advised the tool will remove all Norton products from the computer.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:30:31 PM »
<snip>
Edit: went to Remove Programs again, just to check, and to my dismay Norton was still listed! But this time, when trying to uninstall, I was told the app seemed to be uninstalled already, and given the option to remove it from the list. Which I agreed to. Hopefully it is gone for good.

Norton can be harder to get rid of than your average virus, so I suggest you run the oll suggested by Targ57
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security