Author Topic: help  (Read 4623 times)

dimaza

help
« on: May 11, 2004, 11:43:37 PM »
I JUST GOT AVAST ANTIVIRUS AND IT DETECTED THE VIRUS WIN32:TROJAN-GEN(VEX).WHEN I CLICKED TO REPAIR IT SAID IT COULD NOT ACCESS THE FILE AND IT SAID FILE SO I JUST CLICKED IT OFF.THE NEXT TIME I  STARTED I CLICKED PUT IN CHEST WHATEVER THAT IS.I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.HOW DO I REMOVE IT.I AM NOT THAT COMPUTER LITERATE.I HAD AN OLDER.MCAFEE ANITVIRUS SYSTEM BEFORE.IS THIS A DANGEROUS VIRUS.WHAT DO I DO WHEN IT DETECTS THAT SAME VIRUS NEXT TIME I START. ???I FEEL HELPLESS BECAUSE I KNOW SO LITTLE ABOUT IT.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:help
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 04:45:26 AM »
Please, where does avast find that trojan. In which folder and filename. You could also scan that file here to get a more expressive Virusname:
http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
MfG Ralf

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 10:06:15 AM »
If you put it to Chest, it should be actually removed now (or at least, not present on disk).
If you run another scan, are any files detected as infected?

dimaza

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 06:48:23 PM »
IT SAID CANNOT ACCESS OR DELETE  THE FILE  BECAUSE WINDOWS IS USING IT.THE FILE IS C\PROGRAM FILES\RBEnhance\rbenh.exe file.MY HOME PAGE CHANGES TO A SEARCH ENGINE EVERY TIME I START AND THE I GET SOME POPUPS EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A POPUP BLOCKER.MAYBE THAT VIRUS IS CAUSING THAT.THANKS FOR ANSWERING.

JAM-Computers

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 07:22:32 PM »
Page hijacking, pop ups, actually that sounds a lot like spy-ware.

run this program
http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

see if it helps

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 07:39:11 PM »
Please use this help: http://www.wilderssecurity.net/specialinfo/rapidblaster.html

and *please* turn of your "caps lock"!
MfG Ralf

dimaza

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 09:07:20 PM »
sorry about the all capitals.i am a bad typer and it is easier.i have spybot which is a spyware detector and destroyer.it did discover spyware and it is suppose to take care of it.as far as the trojan virus it said i can't remove it because windows is using that file.

JAM-Computers

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 10:08:41 PM »
spybot is good but it doesn't get everything.  I suggest using both spybot and Ad-Aware as well as spyblaster which can be found at www.javacoolsoftware.com.

As far the virus goes, try going "start->programs->Avast->antivirus"
it should pull up a small user window, right click on it and set a boot time scan.  
This will find the virus before windows starts, before windows is using the virus, and offer you some options.  Click delete and also click on the box that states "delete even if restart required" allow avast to continue scanning and then restart.  

After that fire up avast antivirus following the step listed earlier and click the local disks button.  Select the most thourogh scan available and scan for virus's it should be gone but if it isnt select delete and make sure to click "delete even if restart required"

If this doesnt fix it on avast.com under free programs is a virus removal tool download it and use it.  Hope this helps.

Goodluck
James
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 10:11:26 PM by JAM-Computers »

Datagg

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 10:17:56 PM »
If the above doesnt work Dimaza, do this. Restart your computer, and then take it into safe mode. Unsure what os you have, but usually pressing " F8 " or " F10 " upon restart repeating to hit the key till it goes into safe mode. Once there, run your spyware removal program again.

Make sure all your spyware definitions are up to date before you do this.

Again, load up safe mode. Run spyware programs again. Then run virus program again. Then reboot as normal.

Hope this helps you,

Dan
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 10:19:32 PM by Datagg »