Author Topic: Avast SBS - Allow laptops to download own updates  (Read 6709 times)

random_noise

Avast SBS - Allow laptops to download own updates
« on: June 25, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »
I've been using avast myself at home for some time now and think its a solid product. As I'm in charge of IT at my work I've decided that instead of renewing the licenses for Symantec Corp which has caused me nothing but trouble I'm considering Avast instead.

I have 3 main questions

1) Assuming that I need to cover my SBS box and 14 other workstations/ laptops should I just buy SBS suite x 15 does that cover me? Ive seen a few posts of people having issues between buying SBS instead of SBS suite - whats the difference?

2) If I've purchased a server version of Avast & installed installed it on my server I presume that I use the remote management to roll it out and this keeps a track of licenses etc?

3) Once I've used my server to roll it out can I specify that the laptops get their own updates from the internet instead of my server? They go out into the field for long periods without being plugged back into my companies network so need to get their own updates.

Cheers

Dave

tech92117

Re: Avast SBS - Allow laptops to download own updates
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 01:43:39 AM »
Came to the forum today looking for the same answer for laptops.  How do you handle updates on laptops that are out of the office for weeks at a time?

wpn

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:40:57 AM »
im running avast ADNM with the mirror server at work
my workplace is a laptop it updates from the AMS (mirror server) and as mather of fact right now i just told it to update and its updating from internet server since im home now working on my laptop that is not hooked in my corperate network

so u can install managed avast on your laptop and when it cant connect to the AMS server to get updates it will automaticly go to the internet server

tech92117

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 12:48:22 AM »
Thank you for your reply and confirmation!

:D

wpn

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:35:55 AM »
just to be sure

i am at work now and did a manual update again and it showed my local AMS server as the source from the updates

so now its 10000% sure that it will work the way u want it to work with ur laptops

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 04:22:16 PM »
Yep. it works great.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum