Author Topic: Migration to Avast not succesfull (Exchange 2007)  (Read 22793 times)

mbraeken

Re: Migration to Avast not succesfull (Exchange 2007)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 01:25:58 PM »
Hello WPN,

Thanks for checking - that sounds exactly my problem...
Any news from the Avast crew ?

Cheers,
Mario

wpn

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 12:17:28 AM »
well im gonna join you in the problem of having avast installed with plugins for certain services

i had to update my mail server today so i did all succesful.... no problem there

then i removed my expired AV solution (tho it was still updating itself) called.... Mc... u know...

i made a package for the server, had the exchange 2003 plugin in there and the ISA plugin (since ISA runs on that server too)

i reboot....

and well actually i wasnt surprised to see that my exchange didnt come up anymore, i saw a lot of errors passing by for ISA too
but since i was working already from 8am i didnt check in there yet (the time i saw the errors it was 10:15pm and the only break i had was getting food for dinner)

i changed the registry key like i mentioned myself earlier in this thread, and did a reboot
no success so i removed avast with the uninstaller and the exchange service still didnt come online automaticly but it did manually
i stubornly did reinstall avast but without the exchange and isa plugins (actually creating the same situation as it was with the other AV) and rebooted.... still no automatic starting BUT i did get exchange started manually again....
so until this server is either upgraded again with avast 5 and better working plugins i have to keep in mind to start the services myself everytime the server reboots... (tho i hope this will not happen until I say it has to happen which wont be often really)

i will look into the logfiles friday or so when i actually have time for checkign the logs

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 04:45:01 AM »
I see that you ran the avast uninstall tool, but it doesn't seem like you ran the McAfee removal tool.

I haven't seen ANY problem on 2000 or 2003 servers with avast (a different story with 2008 SBS), but by making sure that all of McAfee has been removed, it will be a good start.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

wpn

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 06:23:57 PM »
well if u send me a link to a free removal tool i will gladly run it :)

but...
besides that i have done several installations in virtual test enviroments now with a complete clean install and exchange crashes a lot of the times, more then it does not crash.... 

i believe Alwil have to do their best with the next plugin release to have a better integration nomather what av solution used to be installed before that... (the key is supposed to be in registry settings for exchange, so during install it can be scanned and reported to give trouble or possibly give a sollution or solve it for itself even)

ive seen too much threads with this problem already... must be a signal to the devteam that it needs some work....
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:26:30 PM by wpn »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 05:34:21 AM »
Well, in regards to McAfee, I used to have this installed on every machine in the school and parish that I work for.  I hated it (as did many other users) and as soon as their license had expired, I of course purchased Avast.

Even after running the removal program from their (I don't even remember the program's name now) but their equivalent to ADNM, I still had to run the McAfee removal tool on all computers because even though the program was gone, the processes still ran on every computer on the campus.

The removal tool can be obtained from here:  http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.htmlhttp://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

or do a search on google for mcafee removal tool, just be careful from where you download it from.

Their own site should be safe though: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 05:41:34 AM »
i believe Alwil have to do their best with the next plugin release to have a better integration nomather what av solution used to be installed before that... (the key is supposed to be in registry settings for exchange, so during install it can be scanned and reported to give trouble or possibly give a sollution or solve it for itself even)

In regards to this, I see your point, and it has been brought up in the "suggestions for new avast" thread.  I've seen people requesting a check of previous A/V entries before avast is installed.

Quite frankly, I don't think Avast is the only one involved with this.  If you remove any modern A/V program, it seems to leave remnants behind.  Usually, the program manufacturer produces a, "removal" program to get rid of the remnants.  What I don't get though, is why we have to run a separate program just to remove the program, where an uninstallation program should have got the job done.

Avast however does provide the same thing.  I can't help but think that if a user that doesn't know any better, uninstalls an A/V program, installs a competitor's product, faces problems, would automatically blame the competitor, and go back to the original A/V.

I can only assume that the A/V companies are doing this on purpose to keep their existing clientele.

All that I can say is that if you know what you're doing, remember to remove the previous A/V product with their supplied removal tool, or come to this or other forums for assistance.

mbraeken

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 10:50:26 PM »
I addition to all this:

My colleague was doing patching this evening... Since it was a while ago we had to restart the exchange server, nobody thought about the information store and the issue after a reboot of the server...
I received a call to ask me what regkey it was again to get the IS back up and running.

A week ago, I was told by the support desk of avast in the netherlands that there was going to be a patch released for this issue...
Did anyone hear the same ?

Cheers,
Mario

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 05:28:27 AM »
I haven't heard anything, but it would be nice.  The exchange 2007 and avast exchange plugin problem is getting annoying for me and everyone else.

For some reason, the SBS 2008 server that I have avast installed on is seemingly running well (of course after all of the problems that you and I both faced).  I can only assume that it's a microsoft problem, or microsoft's A/V remnant's that they put on the SBS 2008 servers that are giving us the problem.

Hopefully, MS or Alwil software will come to an agreement, and fix the problem.

Other than that, you have to fight your way through the installation to get it to work.  Unfortunate, but I guess nothing always goes as planned...

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 04:48:25 PM »
Oh, and I'm having this problem again too.  ExchangeIS won't start unless the regkey is changed to "0" to disable Virus scanning.  I'm going to run some updates that WSUS apparently didn't feel like doing by itself for whatever reason, then check it again.

If it still fails, I'll be removing avast, then re-installing.  If that doesn't work, I'll be throwing a server out the window...   >:(

wpn

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »
let us know what happens, so apparently with the may build from managed client (plugin updated too tho??) it still doesnt work fine?

btw: i saw that MS forefront for exchange makes use of several AV engines, would be nice if avast could become one of them but i think they need to solve this problem first or see how forefront hooks into exchange?

if u choose to throw the server out the window, let me know, ill be down there catching it ;)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2009, 05:06:35 AM »
if u choose to throw the server out the window, let me know, ill be down there catching it

Lol.

Unfortunately, I got it fixed.  Ran all the updates for the server, finally got SP2 on it.  Rebooted and it still didn't work.

So, I removed the client from the server from add/remove programs, rebooted.  Then, I pushed it out with ADNM and rebooted again.

Seems to be working fine now.  The reg key is set to "1", the Exchange 2007 provider is running, and so is the Information Store.

I guess we'll see if it just up and dies again.  It was running fine for a while, and just stopped working.  Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Oh well, job well done, I'm off for a drink.