Author Topic: Another False positive?  (Read 3095 times)

Jao

Another False positive?
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »
Hi, i just bought a new computer yesterday, installed the avast home edition, spybot search&destroy and ran fullscans.

Just as avast started scanning my C:, it said a sign of Win32:PcClient-OD [trj] was found in C:\pagefile.sys - after that, no matter what option i chose (delete file, move to quarantine etc), avast would just sort of crash and say the file couldnt be read, then the scan couldnt go on.

I called the store and asked about it and they told me they had disabled the virtual memory in vista to make it faster since i have alot of RAM, so i just set windows to automatically set the virtual memory space. Then i restarted the computer, ran avast again and it found nothing. re-updated a few hours later, still with virtual memory set to auto, ran a full scan and nothing again.

Could it be a false positive? because i deleted nothing and just by changing the virtual memory settings avast just didnt find anything anymore. Im using vista 32bit with sp1, fully updated.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 02:56:09 PM by Jao »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Another False positive?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 04:52:26 PM »
Since nothing is found anymore, I wouldn't worry. Sure looks like it was a false positive to me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Another False positive?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 04:59:26 PM »
Well I was living under the belief that the pagefile.sys was excluded from scan by default ???

How to exclude:
Program Settings, Exclusions, Add, ?:\pagefile.sys the ? single character wildcard take care of if you have multiple pagefile.sys files in different HDDs on the same computer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security