Author Topic: AVAST screen saver  (Read 4198 times)

lemonhead54

AVAST screen saver
« on: April 11, 2009, 05:13:59 AM »
I am using the AVAST screen saver. When it comes on, it shows that a scan is being performed. However, the number of files scanned varies greatly each time the scan says it's finished. Can anyone please tell me if the files that AVAST is scanning during screen saver mode, belong only to the screen saver or is AVAST actually scanning ALL the files on my computer? Thank you

Ames

Re: AVAST screen saver
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:39:06 AM »
HI
  The files that Avast! is scanning during screen saver are all of the files that are on your PC.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 02:02:33 PM »
-= I believe VRDB is generated when screensaver is running, it scans all but it probably varies in the results because some files might have already been added to the database..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 04:39:22 PM »
This is taken from the Avast help files

VRDB PRINCIPLE

avast! creates an integrity database, i.e. it stores information about the actual state of the files, doing it three versions back for each file. The database creation/maintenance is performed either when the computer is idle, or when the screen-saver is running (any screen-saver, not only the avast! one). This database, once it is created, is updated each three weeks (this value may be changed by editing avast4.ini).

-= I believe VRDB is generated when screensaver is running, it scans all but it probably varies in the results because some files might have already been added to the database..

Even if a file is added to the VRDB, it will still be scanned.

I am using the AVAST screen saver. When it comes on, it shows that a scan is being performed. However, the number of files scanned varies greatly each time the scan says it's finished. Can anyone please tell me if the files that AVAST is scanning during screen saver mode, belong only to the screen saver or is AVAST actually scanning ALL the files on my computer? Thank you

No idea why this is.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 10:37:15 PM »
belong only to the screen saver or is AVAST actually scanning ALL the files on my computer? Thank you [/color]
The screen saver scanner is not the resident (on-access) of avast, so this scanning is only for the screen save and not Standard Shield that applies to all files.
Are you running avast home? In the Pro version you can fully configurate the screen saver scanner.
The best things in life are free.

lemonhead54

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 11:51:24 PM »
I am running the free home edition of AVAST.

belong only to the screen saver or is AVAST actually scanning ALL the files on my computer? Thank you [/color]
The screen saver scanner is not the resident (on-access) of avast, so this scanning is only for the screen save and not Standard Shield that applies to all files.
Are you running avast home? In the Pro version you can fully configurate the screen saver scanner.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 05:22:07 PM »
I am running the free home edition of AVAST.
Ok. The only difference of the Pro is the configurability. The other points I've posted before remain correct.
The best things in life are free.