Author Topic: aavm subsystem detected a rpc error (AGAIN)  (Read 2732 times)

killjoy45

aavm subsystem detected a rpc error (AGAIN)
« on: April 11, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »
My problem is that the Avast Antivirus Service (as listed under services.msc) is taking waaaay too long to start up (longer than it ever has before). Not only that, but it seems to be hanging up my other applications as well. Anyone have any ideas as to how to speed things up? (ya know, besides uninstalling Avast)

PS
When I try and click the taskbar icon, I get the ever so classic AAVM subsystem etc etc message.

spg SCOTT

Re: aavm subsystem detected a rpc error (AGAIN)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »
After some searching the forum I think the rpc error could be related to a previous AV installed or remnants

1. Did you have any previous antivirus software?

2. If so how did you remove it?

It may be necessary to remove the previous AV components using their installer

Once this is done, re-install avast an dsee if it works
I suggest an installation from the scratch:
1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation. Maybe you should boot in Safe Mode.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Hope this helps

-Scott-

killjoy45

Re: aavm subsystem detected a rpc error (AGAIN) !!!SOLVED!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 02:41:24 AM »
I found that there seems to be a bug in the installation of Avast. Selecting the individual components you want during the installation results in Avast taking about a minute and ten seconds to load during start up (Windows start up that is), while selecting the standard/default/whatever installation option allows avast to start up in about 10 seconds flat. I had no previous AV installed, so I figured the problem was something specific to Avast...and it turns out I was right :)

So in short:
If you have the AAVM subsystem detected error, and AVAST is taking around a minute to start up and happens to be bogging down your access to anything else (any other programs), try uninstalling, and selecting the standard or default selection for the protection services. Then, if you need to remove a few services later, you can do so without having to worry about that nasty 1 minute start up time. Thanks to all who assisted!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: aavm subsystem detected a rpc error (AGAIN)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:13:56 PM »
Selecting the individual components you want during the installation results in Avast taking about a minute and ten seconds to load during start up (Windows start up that is), while selecting the standard/default/whatever installation option allows avast to start up in about 10 seconds flat.
Which components are you unselecting?
The best things in life are free.