Author Topic: again - web shield stops browser until webshield is restarted  (Read 2224 times)

TG2

Its as simple.. as the subject line says.. 

I'll be browsing the internet multiple tabs or single window single tab ... and after a period of time the browser will stop getting pages.  I could go to a current tab and try refresh and the browser hangs trying to get one..

As soon as I've "terminated" and then restarted the web shield, all browsers start working again.

The problem in this ... is that terminating and restarting the web shield leaves the web shield saying its protecting me.. but its not.  I have URL filters enabled.. and after having to terminate and restart, the URL filters don't work.  If the URL filters aren't working, then that means the web shield module itself is not functioning properly, and thus can *not* be trusted.

So .. as with other threads.. what's the deal?

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Avast 4.8.x
This is happening on several machines, the easiest one of which to prove its not other software is quite simply my brand new laptop running Vista Business (clean load wiping away HP's Vista home premium) and no rouge software, no shareware, no trialware.

The only other application that has had questions raised.. Zone Alarm pro...

machine stats:
HP Laptop G60-235DX (intel dual core based)
Vista Business (clean install)
Office 2007
Trillian
Firefox 3.x
Spybot Search & Destroy
Zone Alarm Pro

(all apps up to date with recommended and /or posted patches)

Help ... this is getting to be a serious issue!

IE7 and has also happened with IE8

CharleyO

Re: again - web shield stops browser until webshield is restarted
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »

Bump ... someone should know something about this one.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 12:23:14 PM »
Could this be related to the webshield and ZA privacy control conflict?

http://avast.com/eng/faq-home-webshield.html  -->  webshield issues

Under certain conditions, it is necessary to bypass the WebShield's transparent proxy and set things up manually. This includes the following situations:

* If you are using ZoneAlarm with Privacy Control turned on. Zone Alarm's cookie blocking feauture currently does not work properly with WebShield's transparent proxy. Having both features turned on may cause login problems when accessing pages that require cookies.

Don't know how relevant this may be but you could try following the instructions on the FAQ site above and see if it helps (There's separate instructions for broadband and dial up - ensure you get the right one)

-Scott-

EDIT:typo
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:24:53 PM by spg SCOTT »

TG2

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 02:16:25 PM »
Apologies.. I thought I had posted.. that I've never ever turned on.. and specifically turn off ALL of Zone Alarms' privacy options. 

no cookie / ad blocking / mobile code .... all turned off as soon after the install as I could.
identity protection - off
no "smart advisor" either (don't like it, as many of its choices are contrary to mine)

I had thought maybe the re-install would fix what ever is broken.. but to no avail.

Thanks for looking and the suggestion though....

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 02:23:17 PM »
How did you re-install?

It may not hurt to try a complete re-install following these instructions:

I suggest an installation from the scratch:
1.Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation. Maybe you should boot in Safe Mode.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Other than that I am unsure, sorry

-Scott-